Need some twin mommies support...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need some twin mommies support...

Post by Zellie on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 6:49

Hello Ladies

I must say each day I am admiring you all more and more. You carried your twins so well in the womb and now you are all such great mommies to your 2 little angels. I think I am getting scared ... no let me rephrase that. I know I am getting scared.
I felt that I did pretty good till last week Friday but this week all of a sudden everything seemed much more difficult. Not only emotionally, knowing they could come early and worrying about their health and how I would cope but also physically, my tummy feels like it had a growth spurt in a few days and I feel very uncomfortable. Plus I am getting more frequent BH and they are very uncomfortable, luckily not painful, my feet went all alien on me and either I snap easily or I cry. (I hardly recognise myself) Don't get me wrong because I am extremely grateful for our 2 miracles and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I asked my Gynae last week how most of his twins arrive. He said with most the mothers water breaks first between 28 and 36 weeks. I was hoping for contractions first. (Then at least I have enough time to get to the hospital.) blink

So please tell me how you went into labour and at how many weeks did it happened. We live 30 mins away from the hospital and in heavy traffic 1hr. So if my waters break, how long do we have to get them delivered?

You are all such an inspiration to me. :Yes
Thank you for the help.

Have a lovely day

Zel
Zellie
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 557
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Need some twin mommies support...

Post by Guest on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 7:15

Hi Zel
Shame this is where is get difficult! I remember havint to shift my tummy with my hands to move!

What your gynae described is what happened to me (at 34w2d). I was also getting a lot of BH (by the way, my gynae gave me a ventolin pump to inhale when they got hectic, it helped) but no contractions, no cervical changes. All through the day the babies were born, I had ZERO warning, nothing, no hectic BH nothing. We were going to a restaurant for dinner, when I got out of the car I got a mild contraction, felt a gurgly feeling and swoosh! Water all over the place. I told hubby, he said (apparently this is the majority of huubies' answer in this situation) you sure it isn't urine!! Haha, believe me you can tell the difference!. Anyway, we called the gynae who said he'll meet us at the hospital. We went home first (in the opposite direction!) got my bag, I took a quick shower and off we went. Still no contractions. When I got to the hospital (also 30 min away at least) my gynae examined me and said I was starting to dilate (about 2 hours by now after the water breaking) and he arranged the c/section. The babies were born 3 hours after my water broke.

So actually you have sufficient time, don't worry too much about that. The fact of the water breaking is not an emergency at all in terms of the babies' health, they only need to be delivered in about 12 hours to prevent infection. Having said that, if it happens before 34 weeks they may decide to delay delivery while giving you antibiotics, but that will be your gynae's decision.

Anyway, good luck for the last bit, hopefully babas stay put!
xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lipa on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 7:28

I had mild BH for two weeks, then at exactly 33 weeks my water broke at 7 in the morning. I took a shower and we drove to hospital, when we got there i was starting to dilate, was monitored and only started contractions at about 11. Wheeled to theater around 3;30 and babies delivered at about 5. As Paula said, after water breaks you still have time.
Lipa

Number of posts : 145
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Joleen on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 7:37

Hi Zellie

I had a normal c-section at 37 weeks. My twins had a low birth weight.

Erin weighed 1.880kg
Wade weighed 2.5kg

Both stayed in NICU for 2 and a half weeks.
Joleen
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://singlemomtwins.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 8:05

HI Zellie

I am sure your emotions are normal I worried alot towards the end I was stuck on my bed, v boring. My gynae kept measuring my cervix and I had BH but I was uncomfortable. I initially thought it was one of the boys feet in my ribs turned out it was tightening of my uterus (irritation not good). My gynae gave me tabs to stop the tightening as it was pushing on my cervix which was causing it to shorten. Then one evening the boys had not kicked much so I went to the hospital and when they measured contractions I was having mild ones (I could not feel them I just felt a slight push at my cervix) so I was hospitalised and put on a drip to stop contractions and had a CS at 35 weeks.

But babies do so well in NICU so don't worry about that, just try to spend as much time taking the weight of the babies off your cervix which means lying down which may help them stay in longer. Also from now every day they stay in you are helping them.
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 10:31

Shame Zellie - know exactly what you're going through. The worrying doesn't stop until you're holding your babies! I also remember how uncomfortable I was towards the end - lots of tears and sleepless nights. My gynae, who has delivered loads of multiples says that from 28 onwards is when the wheels start to fall off!

All was OK with me up until 32 weeks. I stopped work at 31 weeks and was spending my time bobbing around in the swimming pool (most comfortable and cool place in Dbn in March!) I went for my 32 week checkup and my Dr picked up a problem in the cord flow of our little girl. (who had been consistently smaller than her brother from 19 weeks or so). I went back 2 days later and the problem was still there - he said he couldn't pick up what was causing the flow problem - could be pressure in the cord, a knot - he wasn't sure. Decided to admit me to hospital for observation so I spent the next 5 days in prenatal ward being hooked up to monitors every 4 hours and also receiving steroids and put on a drip to stop pre-term labour (I was having some very strong BH contractions. ) I was beside myself with worry. All seemed well with the heartbeats with both babies so after 5 days I went home on complete bedrest on the Monday. I went back for another scan on the Fri and Dr said that the girls umbilical cord seemed very thin and he thought it best to deliver the babies. I could tell he was getting very twitchy and felt the safest route was to deliver them. The scan had revealed the boy to be 2.32kg and the girl to be 1.7kg. I spent that night in hospital having more steroids and being monitored and babies were delivered at 7.30am the next morning. By this stage I was 34 weeks. Just as well he delivered them then as the scan proved misleading and my daughter only weighed 1.4kg - the weight of a 29/30 week old baby!

So although I didn't actually go into labour or have my waters break my babies were born at 34 weeks which, according to my gynae is the average gestation period for a twin pregnancy.

I must also stress that the staff in the NICU were absolutely fantastic and kept us fully informed as to the babies wellbeing after they were born - I only have praise for them.

I think you are doing well to prepare yourself for a possible prem birth - but hopefully they'll stay put for a little while longer and then you can take your babies home with you straight away!
Wendy
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 895
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Zellie on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 10:55

Hi

Thank you so much for replying so quickly everyone.

I am just glad that there will be enough time to get myself to hospital if my water should break. (One of my biggest worries solved.)

You have all been through so much, having babies in NICU must have been emotionally taxing ... you should all receive medals. Smile
It really helps knowing you all went through it and came out on the other side with healthy babies.

Have a lovely evening

Luv
Zel
Zellie
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Joleen on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 11:32

the most diffiult part was the NICU - I had heard about it but believed because i had carried so far it would not happen to me. Boy was I in for a big surprise.

Twins are wonderful, I am really happy that I was blessed with two beautiful babies.
Joleen
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://singlemomtwins.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Melanie on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 13:22

Hi Zellie

What you are feeling is normal. I was so uncomfortable in the end that I really wish the babies out, I could sleep, was sleeping in a sitting position on the couch, struggle to walk, sit. I did have the feeling to know how it feel for my water to break but my BP was high from 28 weeks, some weeks better than the other and the Tuesday before the babies were born is was very high. Gynea gave me medicine but still nothing. When I went back the Thursday it was higher and she decide to do a c-section on exactly 34 weeks. When the gynea finished up she tld me that my placenta and the cervix was together( op mekaar) and if I have walked till the monday I would have lost the babies. Now from 10 weeks I knew that she will do the c-section around 34 weeks because my twins was in one placenta and if something would have happen I would loose both of them. I went to NICU before they were born to have a look as to how my babies will look and I am going to see them but still it is not nice to have them their, leave them there during the night and go home empty handed.

Mine scored 8/10 and 9/10 on Apgar and didn't even needed oxygen and no other machine. Just the heater to help them regulate their temperature and need to learn to suck. Montiné got more oxygen after NICU than even needed with birth, so it really depend on you children.

Are you gynea going to give you the steriods for the lungs?
Pls try to rest as much as you can, take it easy and just keep an eye on everything then you will be ok. At what hospital will you give birth?
Melanie
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3443
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://melanie-mmtwins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zellie on Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 14:49

Hi

Melanie - My Gynae gave me two steroid shots 24hrs apart at 28 weeks for just in case. We live in Riviera but sometimes sleep in Pretoria Gardens due to my FIL being very sick and we taking care of him. I will deliver at Pta East hospital so it depends on where I am at that stage that will determine how long it will take us to reach the hospital.

I am really trying to take it easy now, no more walking in the shopping malls etc.

Just one question. Is it normal for your tummy to be so hard at this stage? Feels like I swallowed a rock and then when I get a BH it really gets uncomfortable.

Thank you again

Luv
Zel
Zellie
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Melanie on Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 8:04

Yes it is Zellie, let me tell you I didn't know that I was having BH till the morning of the delivery and they put me on the mechines to monitor the hearts beats and yes it is very uncomfortable, I struggled to breath when i got that!

We stay close to each other, we live in Wonderboom South
Melanie
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3443
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://melanie-mmtwins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ELAINE on Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 10:26

Hi Zellie, I understand exactly how you feel. I was just as scared of everything. But you will just do fine and Pretoria East hospital is great. My husband almost missed their birth, was peak our traffic and he just couldn't get to the hospital fast enough. Luckily the aneathetist was also stuck in traffic!! Just take it easy now, as Wendy say anything can happen from 28weeks onwards.
ELAINE

Number of posts : 396
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top