Joshua's birth

Go down

Joshua's birth

Post by elleznom on Mon 1 Jun 2009 - 13:31

Ok, so some of you already read this, but I thought it would be awesome to post it under this topic (thanks for creating this) so it is easily available for the girls to read.

So, I went to the gynae for my last check up on Friday 20 March. 39 weeks and 3 days preggo. Gynae did internal check to see if the cervix maybe started ripening etc. All the signs were good and he did a membrane "strip" to naturally "induce" labour, with the possibility of labour starting by itself over the weekend, as the strip helps to release some hormones.

He also booked me for an induction on Sunday 22 March, should nothing happen by itself before then. My due date was 24 March anyways, so it's only 2 days earlier. He had some patients to see out of town during that week and the odds of me going into labour with him not being here was huge, so we didn't want to take the chance and have someone else delivering the baby. Also, he is not too keen on letting ladies go over their due dates as it has no benefit for both mother and baby, and if everything is in order (cervix ripe etc) then inducing isn't an issue at all.

So the Sunday night, we went to the hospital, as the induction was booked for 22:00. Getting there, I needed to fill out and sign some last paperwork, giving permission for hubby to take photo's, for them to burn the placenta afterwards if we didn't want it (as if) and hubby needed to get some papers from reception. We arranged for her to do the enema at 5:00 the next morning and then just wait out the labour. At about 23:00 the nurse administered the induction, and they also give you a sleeping pill, as they normally let you sleep through the night, when the start of labour is still very slow and not to such an extend that you really feel it or are bothered by it. So they said hubby can go home, cause I am going to sleep anyway, but should something happen they will phone immediately, luckily we only live 3km's away from hospital, so he could be there in a flash. He left at about 23:30 and I then got into my pj's, washed all my make-up off (didn't see the need to sleep with it and thought I'd put on some fresh make-up in the morning) I took down my hair and just fastened it into a ponytail. The nurse told me to call her if I feel anything, so she can just check if all is going to plan and if everything is okay.

Got into bed at around 24:00 and tried to sleep. I had just drifted off when I felt a numb pressure pain in my bum (or as I like to call it, an ass cramp, cause it really just felt like an ass cramp.) I got up, walked around the bed and it went away, got back in and it came back, started feeling like my stomach wanted to go, so I went to the loo, felt better afterwards and got back into bed, happened again, went to the loo and felt better, pressure came back, walked around, went away. I finally called the nurse and she checked, said everything was in order, but it has stared (I was a fingertip dialated), but it's still early days so they will give me 2 panado's just to ease the discomfort so that I can atleast sleep a bit till morning. She also gave me a hot bean bag to help releave the pressure feeling. I got back into bed, and once again just drifted off when the feeling came back, so I spent the next few hours just pacing around the room, sitting on the loo, as I constantly felt the need to pee, but nothing happened, just the urge to push a little. Paced, got into bed, paced, tried to pee, nothing. At around 3:00am while sitting on the loo trying to successfully get out a pee that has been nagging for hours but to no success, I got nauseous and flung around to rather give my attention to the nausea. I threw up and for the first time I wiped blood when I tried to pee again. I got up, walked the feeling off a bit and when it came back I called the nurse at about 3:30am, I just thought, okay, bring my something more than panado please, cause it's not working and I would love to sleep a bit now. She asked what I felt, told her I felt the urge to pee, but nothing happened and the pressure on my bum is continual now. She did an internal and asked me if I felt the need to push at any time, told her yes. Her eyes got real big and as I asked her what we are going to do now, she just said, you are now going to have a baby as I was 10cm dialated (I wonder for how long I was fully dialated? And I wonder if I didn't call her, how long I would have paced before something happend more serious, like waters breaking)

So she called the other nurse, told her to phone the doctor (luckily he lives just accross the road) and I phoned hubby, telling him to come as things are moving. They helped me to the delivery room (but to this day I don't know how I got there and I don't know how I got out of my pj's into the green hospital gown) As I lay on the delivery bed they gave me the entonox gas to enhale when I felt the urge to push (but hey, you can't stop that feeling, your body does it all automatically), as I shouldn't push yet, the doc still had to break my waters. So I lay there and got about 3 urges to push, and I sucked gas and then POP! my waters broke, what a weird feeling! So they took away the gas and now there was no stopping, if I needed to push, then we had to go on with the process. I just heard the one nurse ask the other, are you ready?

At about 3:50am hubby walked into the room and the doc closely behind him. Doc just got on gloves, hair still messed up, shorts, flops and a sweatshirt on he told me when to push and how to push, they had their hands on my belly and said push if I feel a contraction (which I never did, only the urge to push with a numb pressure in my bum, so whenever they told me there was a contraction and I should push, then I just waited for the urge and worked with that) and at 4:07am, Joshua was born. 3.21kg's, 47cm tall and 36cm head circumference, apgar 9/10 and 10/10. It was the most amazing moment of my life. While they weighed him and gave him his first shot, doc sewed me up as I had a small episiotimy and they brought me some tea as my legs were shaking like crazy! They gave Josh to hubby and he brought him to me and I breastfed him then and there. After they cleaned me a bit and I was all sewed up they took us all back to the staging room and I quickly showered and freshened up. Then they wheeled us to the maternity ward. I felt so proud! There we spend the next 3 days and it was magical. This little bundle of joy!

I wouldn't change a thing about how it turned out, I was blessed with a quick and easy delivery and to the most part, painless, it was just an uncomfy feeling, not painful at all, I think the adrenaline was pumping too much! The staff and hospital was wonderful!

Last edited by elleznom on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 6:03; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : picture added, connection failed yesterday (when adding the picture, half my post dissapeared, so I had to re-write most of it))

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Joshua's birth

Post by Bel on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 7:49

Oh wow, what an amazing story! Thanks for sharing again!
Bel
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3464
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by emerald on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 7:55

That is truelly amazing.

emerald
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1530
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nix1407 on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 8:49

Beautiful, thank you for sharing with us.

Nix

INTERNATIONAL ADVOCATE OF DUCKLIPPING FOR EVERYONE
Nix1407

Number of posts : 8883
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ilze on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 8:53

Wow, one day I also want to have a easy birth like that.

Thanks for sharing
Ilze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8208
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandy on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 10:03

Thanks for sharing
Sandy
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4766
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 14:43

i loved reading your birth story previously, and again now.

xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sboza on Wed 17 Jun 2009 - 10:07

My friend-I really pray that I have an easier one like you did.
My Dr wants to enduce next week or c-sec and I'll be 39w2day then but my cervix is high therefore can't feel whether its ripe or not.
I think we should wait till the 30th on which I'll be 40 weeks before inducing.
Maybe I must tell him about the stripping of the membrane, which I doubt will be possible with high cervix.
This is a 2nd Dr talking c-section to me

Sboza
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1833
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by elleznom on Wed 17 Jun 2009 - 10:10

Oh Sboz my friend, I hope you get what you want. Josh didn't drop till the last week and I was so afraid he wouldn't in time and that it will mean c-sec, but with the last check-up he did, I hope and pray your cervix will get to where it should be in time and that you will be able to get the induction... Holding thumbs!

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmom on Wed 17 Jun 2009 - 10:38

It is beautiful, thanks for sharing!
Cmom
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2671
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mich on Mon 22 Jun 2009 - 13:52

wow Monz, well done on the natural birth!!!! i think thats awsome!!! i always wanted to give natural birth but coulnt cos of all the events. but well done!!! i didnt read your birth story previously so it was nice to read now. I'm glad you dh made it in time Smile

thank you for sharing Smile
Mich
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 5910
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Danni on Tue 23 Jun 2009 - 7:55

I REALLY hope & pray for a delivery as fast & rather painless as yours!!!
(That's if Dr allows natural!)

So lovely to read your story!!! Very Happy
Danni
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content