Please give me some advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please give me some advice

Post by D on Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 10:52

Good morning ladies. I need some help please.
Annabelle isn't sleeping at night and I don't know what to do. Previously she would fall asleep in her stroller round about 7.30 pm - I would put her in her cot in her room and she would sleep until about 6am. Then she started waking up at around 4.30 am and I would bring her to my bed and that was fine. We did this for long .... until about 2 weeks ago. She started waking up at around 11 pm - we would give her a bottle then she would sleep again - we are at the point now that when we lay her in her cot she wakes up and doesn't sleep. We cant even put her in bed with us she doesn't want to sleep. Daddy slept in the lounge last night with her in his arms ... all night. She had a little bit of flue recently - and her nose still gets blocked - maybe that's why she doesn't sleep - but she doesn't let me put in the nose drops (they work!) ... this has to stop because a person cant function without sleep (Im talking about me and daddy here - she sleeps during the day)
Some advice please!!
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 630
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-05-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Please give me some advice

Post by Honey on Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 11:34

When you say she isn't sleeping, do you mean she cries until you pick her up or is she just awake? How old is she?
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 11:47

I am not a huge fan of sleep training, but some of the OPM moms sleep trained and it was in the end the only thing that worked for them. Maybe look into the sleepsense method, it is not the cry it out method. D went through a bad patch of no sleeping/ waking every 30 minutes when he was that age and let me tell you, sleep deprivation is torture!!! I gave him 5ml Quietude (made by boron) and that helped for a while, its completely safe.

Wihan hates nose drops so I wrap him in a bath sheet so that he cant fight back.. sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 10908
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 12:23

If she isn't crying while awake there is no reason to pick her up, just leave her to spend time on her own and fall asleep eventually.

You can look at whether to move her supper to a little later, closer to bedtime?

Zander hates nose drops, so we use Rhinex and that works well since it tastes awesome too. You can also put camphor blocks in her pillow case to help with this

I sleep trained, it was horrible but worked like a bomb.

I'd wait until she is completely healthy before going into drastic measures
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by D on Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 12:54

Thanx guys. She is now 15 moths. She used to wake up and call for me "Ma ... Ma ...." - now she moans and cries if we leave her. I really dont understand what changed because she was sleeping fine. Hubby says tonight we are going to see if we put the camping cot in our room and she sleeps there if it will make a difference. Ouma is visiting us at the moment and is actually sleeping in her room. we thought this would make it easier for her but it seems to have made it worse.
She used to sleep through and I would wake up with her doggy Violet teddy singing ... I dont know what happened ...
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by D on Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 12:54

months .... not moths!
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Haz on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 7:03

I don't believe in sleep training at all - they dont' have a concept of time yet, so if you leave the room, they think you are never coming back... Also I belive (and only my opinion) that communciation begins from birth, and ignoring crying now might only just make her feel that she cannot talk to you later on.

Until 15 - 18 months, they see themselves and you as one person, she is probably starting to see you as a separate person now and becasue she has no concept of time, when you go she thinks you might never be coming back... I found if I got stressed about the going to sleep it just worked him up, I used to just lie on the bed quitely with the lights off and let him fall asleep cuddled up with me, and then move him

Yes it may be more work but they are small for such a short while, I miss having D fall asleep in my arms, he's gotten to big to fit on my lap properly.

What worked VERY well for us is that i'd let D fall asleep on my and then take off the shirt I was wearing and put it in his cot with him.

I really believe it's a phase becasue I know a lot of moms who went thru the exact same thing at the exact same age.

Haz

Number of posts : 126
Mood :
Registration date : 2013-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by D on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 8:23

Awww ... Thank you Haz! What you described does sound like what I think Annabelle is going through. I also dont believe in the sleep training - thats why I am sitting here today with matchsticks holding my eyelids open hahaha. 2am this morning she woke up and did NOT want to sleep. She was dead tired but was crying and trying to sit up when I had her in bed with us. So I went to the tv room and put it on disney junior - ahs she started dancing haha. cute because she does this Elvis move with the one leg, but she is still half asleep. I know that this was probably the wrong thing to do - but at 3am I decided enough and took her to bed again - she wanted daddy now and finally fell asleep round about 4am. I do hope this is just a phase - we thought that if we put a camping cot in the room with us we could see if that helps - she slept in it until 2am.

Thanx so much for the responses.
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Haz on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 9:10

I wouldn't take her to watch TV.... Rather just put her in the bed with you and if she's playing, don't play or talk to her just let her fall asleep

Haz

Number of posts : 126
Mood :
Registration date : 2013-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top