A question for the weight losers!!

Go down

A question for the weight losers!!

Post by Zee on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 10:07

Im actually just asking this question because I think my sister is in denial.

When you were overweight, were you convinced you did not know how you could be overweight because 'you really didnt eat THAT much'?
Or did you know you kinda ate either too much or the wrong thing like chocolate, takes outs, maybe an extra helping of supper etc.

My sister says she HARDLY eats.......I cant believe this because for someone of 1.54m short to weigh 80kg, YOU EAT and ALOT!!!! You dont see contestants getting fatter day by day on the program - 'survivor' when they hardly eat.

My blood boils when tells me she HARDLY eats and so depressed cause she is fat etc. Then she tells me how Im so lucky that I got the good genes and she got the bad genes....it PEEEEEES me off when she says that because for me to be thin is the hardest day to day struggle. Its not easy!!!!!!!!!! Its definitely not that I got better genes. I just dont want to be fat....blame it on my insecurities and my introvert personality.

She has now decided to start Slendor Wonder after I convinced her after months of persuading, and have offered to pay for it. First it was excuses about that she is scared of needles and then that shed rather try a healther option.....excuse after excuse.

She does NOW seem very eager to give it a shot however, after seeing before and after pics on the web, so Im just hoping she sticks it out and can be strict about it.
Zee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3182
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: A question for the weight losers!!

Post by elleznom on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 10:26

I think (I might be wrong) at some point I was in denial, I just ate and didn't "see" myself as fat or thought I don't look THAT bad (until I lost the weight and looked back)

You kind of get stuck in a rut and really no matter what you do, if your "head" isn't in the right place, you won't achieve anything.

I do believe some people can claim to eat "hardly" anything and still be "fat" as their bodies store EVERYTHING they eat (when they eat and the little they do) as it's an unhealthy way of living. I don't know.

But it's definitely hard work to get it off and keep it off.

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 10:34

There are a lot of medical things that could cause her to gain weight while she hardly eats BUT in my case, I was fat from eating.  I , like your sister, didn't eat a lot but when I did eat it was the wrong time, the wrong foods and mostly take away or restaurants.

I never really realised how fat I was until I lost the 40kg's.  I never looked that fat to myself on pictures, but only realised how bad I was until I had to start buying new clothes and suddenly slept better and my skin finally cleared.

I am still about 20kg's overweight and have battled to get back on my diet BUT I haven't picked up anything, even though I now eat mostly what I want.  The difference is I eat less take out, smaller portions and i choose good foods.  I also eat my dinner for breakfast, lunch is a sandwich and dinner would be cereal.  I eat some extra carbs due to my intense training programme, but if I cut that out I will start losing again.

My diet has taught me what to eat, and now I taught myself how to eat and maintain.

80kg for 1.54 is alot, considering I was 125kg at my heaviest and I'm 1.64.  

Its a pity she cant pay for herself because part of the motivation for me was how much money I had to spend to lose the weight.  Your head needs to be absolutely geared right and stay that way even when you are done.  I am an obsessive calorie counter and food label reader, which has made maintenance much easier.

Personally I think people are too quick to blame medical issues on obesity, when 90% of the time its just a case of not eating well and not exercising.
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by TarrynT on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 11:00

Ya I agree! But the funny thing is this... to loose weight u need to eat 5 meals a day and alot of "fat" people dont eat all day and then have a big supper so to them they not eating much but in fact they doing the total opposite of what they should be. Weigh less taught me alot. Geez u eat alot of food but u loose and u keep it off.
I was in denial alot, u buy bigger clothes and u learn to live with it, you dont even realise u overweight.
TarrynT
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 6490
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 12:49

Thanks girls.
Honey I think her problem is 'perhaps' she eats little during the day but when she does eat its a piece of cake for the day and when she gets home she eats a huge plate of food. Im sure its that. Its easy to say I hardly eat if you only ate a slice of cake or a pie the whole day and then eat your supper which is probably a massive portion because you are so starving. It can only be that. Dunno. As you say the wrong foods.
Hopefully this will help her with choosing the right food.
Well what I told her was that if she takes it seriously (which I think she will as she is always in bloody tears when she complains about her weight), and loses weight the first month, AT LEAST 6kg, then Ill continue paying but no results no pay.
I think when she sees results she will want to carry on. She wasnt fat until her first child. She weighed 49kg at a stage at around 21 yrs of age so she knows what its like to be slim.
Zee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3182
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by elleznom on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 13:01

Good luck to her Zee! I think it's all about the "wrong" choices here.

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 13:21

What i do want to add though, is not to pressure her too much about her weight. Even when I was slim, it would drive me crazy when people commented on other people's weight, because at the end of the day its a personal issue and does not really have anything to do with them. If she is joining this diet because she wants you to stop nagging her, it is not going to work. I just feel that unless you are the person making the meals for the person with the weight issue, don't make a fuss about it. Often it is because they comfort eat, and when you keep pointing out their weight, they get embarrased, leading to more comfort eating, weight gain...its a vicious circle.

This is a very hard think for skinny people to understand, and having been at both ends of the spectrum, I tend not to venture into that discussion with people unless they flat out ask me about my diet.
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele S on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 13:58

Agree with Honey about not making too much of a fuss of her weight or eating habits.

I was fat because I ate too much but I only started losing weight - not because my mom constantly went on about my eating habits or how fat I was or whatever. It only happened when I decided to do something about it

Adele S
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 735
Mood :
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BenitaB on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 14:58

It's difficult Zee, and there can be many things playing a roll, I am only 1.64m and it does not take much for me to show extra weight. Because we are so busy at work, I don't always have the time to eat, so when I finally realise that I am hungry, I tend for the quick and easy option and order something from a take-away a block away from work and they deliver, so I don't have to worry. Until a week or so ago, when my niece got married, I looked at our photos afterwards and I felt sick at myself, and there and then I decided I need to do something, not for those around me or for hubby, I need to do this for myself! It is hard word, it is damm hard work, but I have to keep pushing, for a beter me
BenitaB
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4112
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-10-30

http://www.2bme-benita.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down