Eating issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eating issues

Post by Honey on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 7:14

I am desperate for advice here :Sad 

Zander's eating habits is becoming a source of worry to me, and even the school has now started to be concerned. He is an EXTREMELY fussy eater, and he cannot afford to be. He weighs just over 13kg's and is very active, but skinny as a rake and when he is naked he is just skin and bones. He is refusing to eat anything I give him unless it is on his "list", which only consits of the following:

- Pasta, only the shell variety, nothing else
- Viennas
- Weetbix
- Bread (dry, no spreads or butter)
-Yoghurt
- Fruit such as banana, strawberries, grapes and apple.
- Bottled beetroot

He refuses to eat meat of any kind, unless its this chicken wing thing that his dad puts on the braai.

And he doesn't even always eat what I have listed here.

He does not eat any kind of spice, tomato sauce, any other kind of sauce, cheese, salt or pepper. He is refusing to eat at school, because the food is not on that "list", and when they make a issue of it, he puts up such a tanrtum that he upsets the other kids. He eats his mealie meal in the morning, but then refuse lunch and only wants his dry sandwich at 14:00, which is much to late considering he eats at 08:00.

I have tried the following:
- Forcing him to sit until he has eaten his food (he makes himself vomit)
- Refusing to give him any other food unless he eats what I give him (he flatly refuses to eat, in a specific battle of will he did not eat supper for 3 days straight, he will not eat unless its on his list)
- Tried letting him make some of his own food
- Food moulded into shapes and coloured with food colouring.

While we do believe in spanking, I don't think its the appropriate method for this issue, because I don't want to worsen his already nagging food issues.

Last night I made the following for him grapes and strawberries, toast and a yoghurt with cooked beetroot. He again refused to eat although the food is on his list, and he hadn't eaten since 14:00. Out of desperation I googled images of emaciated children and showed him what it looks like when you don't eat (and he isn't too far from looking like that)....that got him around and he ate his food.

His teacher is worried about his weight and so am I, but at his annual checkup the Dr said not to worry, as long as he gets a multi vitamin. He isn't lethargic, and i know people say "if he is happy and thriving" and all that, but he eats about 200kcal a day MAX. I don't want to start catering individually for his needs as he needs to learn to eat what we do and that I can't modify each meal to suit his liking for that day. I also thought about offering pudding for after, but not sure if this is wise or creating a bad habit. he has absolutely no problem eating pudding. He is allowed biscuits during the week but not before meal times.

The teacher suggested that if he refuses to eat, I should take the food away and feed it to the dog where Zander can see it.

Any advice?
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Eating issues

Post by TarrynT on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 7:31

Have u thought of a meal replacement? When Rach was very ill once and wouldnt eat the paed gave us pediasure and she had a cup of that every day. Its like ensure for cancer patients but the paed version. My thing is this "if they hungry they will eat" you cant force him to eat? 13kg is not that under weight? He is an active little boy.
I think if u feed the dog he wont care to be honest? He will probably just start giving the dog all his food.
TarrynT
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 6490
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandri on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 7:34

Mel I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but I think this is more than just about food. I'm thinking this might be something else.

I was just telling Nix about Mind Moves yesterday for Thomas, so after reading some stuff I think this might help him too.

This might be some sort of phobia or tactile defensiveness. I know this sounds funny as we are talking food and eating here, but the problem can be much deeper than one think.

Go have a look at www.mindmoves.co.za and have a read through. In the end this will help for so much more than just eating.

MC - 5 February 2009 (6 weeks)

9 April 2012  BFP first beta 256 (15dpo), second beta 674 (17dpo), third beta 5544.80 (21dpo), heard the heartbeat on 26 April 2012 (123bpm)

16 November 2013 BFP first beta 48.3, second beta 119, third beta 263, fourth beta 1583, fifth beta 8240, heard the heartbeat on 3 December 2013 (111bpm)
Mandri

Number of posts : 10058
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://www.mandri-poasaddict.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantalle on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 7:42

Hey Honey,

I didn't read the replies. Shame I can imagine how frustrating it must be!

Sorry I don't have any advice BUT I have heard the following, might be worth a try?

1. Lack of iron levels can take away their appetite, our paed said that if we give iron drops their appetite will increase (in our case anyway)
2. I have heard that so many kids eat so much better after their tonsils are removed

I hope you get a solution!
Chantalle
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2503
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Playgirl on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 7:50

Honey Danielle is also a very fussy eater so I gave her the meal replacement even if she had a meal I'll give it to her before bed time. It works for us. it's a bit expensive but worth the money and effort she loves milk so this is a treat for her.
Playgirl
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1405
Mood :
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 8:02

Mandri it is very definitely a more than just "fussy" eating issue, I do think there is something more there that I am not aware of.  13kg does not sound underweight until you actually see him naked, then you realise that he is actually seriously skinny and could do with at least three or four additional kg's to his frame.  I have to be very careful to make sure that the approach I take in resolving this, wont make the matter worse, so thats why I am not punishign him for not eating. I need to look at the root cause.  And I will have a look at the website straight away, thanks for that.

Tt, what texture does the milkshake have?  What i have discovered is he is very sensitive to the texture of food - i.e mash or any "floury" type of dish makes him physically break out in a cold sweat.  Is the milkshake smooth and creamy or does it taste like a meal replacement shake?  And you are right, if I give the dog his food he will not give a hoot, and probably want me to do it every night.

We recently stopped giving him Scott's and switched over to creche guard, so as to have variety, but I think I will switch over to Scotts again, as his appetite seems much better when he is on it..

Chantelle what iron drops are you giving your kids?

Playgirl, do you know what brand you are using? Zander loves milk, and i haven't been able to get him off night nappies as I give him milk at bedtime hoping it would fill the gap, but if I can replace it with a meal replacement shake it would be better. I don't care if he stays on night nappies for a while still as long as he just increases his calorie intake in order to gain a bit more weight.

To give you an idea of his size: he has 18-24 month pants that still fit him, and he wears size 2-3 even though he is going close on 5 years old already. Size 2-3 pants I have to put elastic in as his waist is too small to keep it up.

Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandri on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 8:13

That really sounds like tactile defensiveness and something Mind Moves are brilliant in fixing.  They use movement to sort out issues, so he won't even realize you are addressing a problem.

I did the BabyGym course which is preventative, but Mind Moves corrects issues.  I'm a huge advocate for the company as I've seen the results and this is not some sort of hogus pogus.  This really works!

There is a lady in Cape Town that does it, maybe give her a call and find out what she says?

https://www.mindmoves.co.za/instructors_and_profilers_town_list.php?proID=1

Last edited by Mandri on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 8:14; edited 1 time in total

MC - 5 February 2009 (6 weeks)

9 April 2012  BFP first beta 256 (15dpo), second beta 674 (17dpo), third beta 5544.80 (21dpo), heard the heartbeat on 26 April 2012 (123bpm)

16 November 2013 BFP first beta 48.3, second beta 119, third beta 263, fourth beta 1583, fifth beta 8240, heard the heartbeat on 3 December 2013 (111bpm)
Mandri

Number of posts : 10058
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://www.mandri-poasaddict.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele S on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 8:13

Mel, I know you can give Herbalife shake to him (they have cookies in cream with bits of puffed rice kind of stuff in) (and he will probably not like it due to the texture) and they have the vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and to me it tastes quite nice.

Have you considered Futurelife Protein smoothies?

Adele S
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 735
Mood :
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Joleen on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 8:33

Honey, he does weigh little as Erin is small and petite and she weights 15.5kg. She still wears alot of small clothes so I do think Zander weighs a little.

I would give MO's advice a bash.
Joleen
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://singlemomtwins.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TarrynT on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 10:38

Futurelife is brilliant!! But he may not like the texture. The pediasure is smooth smooth like normal milk
TarrynT
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by BenitaB on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 11:53

Honey, H went through the same a couple of years ago, took him to the doc who did a few tests, test results came back showing that H had very low iron levels, doc gave us a iron supplement and multi vit, which in a way solved the problem
H turned 7 in August and is still only 15kg's
BenitaB
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4112
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-10-30

http://www.2bme-benita.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Playgirl on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 12:44

I think it's pediasure if I'm correct will have a look tonight and let you know
Playgirl
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1405
Mood :
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by TarrynT on Wed 11 Sep 2013 - 13:15

ya we used pediasure also
TarrynT
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 11:57

Sorry Honey that you have to go through such stress

13kg is very light my boys are not big and Connor weighs 18kg and he is skin muscle and bone. Kian has some fat at 20kg.

I agree with what the other ladies have said try an iron supplement over and above the multi vits.
try the pediasure just to get some extra weight on as being too think can make them more sick than other kids.
Finally try the mind moves otherwise go to an OT for an assessment, they can identify possible problems and recommend treatment.

Just dont make a fuss about the food as you give him the power. With my boys they are a little fussy too so I think a bit of fuss is normal and i figure as long as they eat a decent amount of fruit I don't mind too much. But they do have to have one bite of veggies with each meal. And they get rewarded with a star towards dessert at the end of each week.

I have got a good friend who's daughter also does not really eat so often they are just happy she is eating ad give her buiscuts and unhealthy things. Which seems wrong

I taught english to a bunch of 3 year olds once and there was alittle girl who had food issues just like that she would only eat a bit of rice adn would vomit if forced to eat anything else. We eventally got her to eat a little more by being very kind and reassuring but she had mild aspbergers (how ever you spell it) adn we found the more settled she got a school the more we could coax her to eat.

Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 11:58

Oh and colouring food and making smiley faces - dont know which kids that works for mine would just look at it and walk away. Like " dont patronise me I dont eat that stuff"
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top