Interesting legislation regarding infant formula advertising etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interesting legislation regarding infant formula advertising etc.

Post by Honey on Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 12:43

The regulations go as far as prohibiting promotional activities, advertisements and statements on the Internet and other related social media concerning items such as bottles and teats.

Just an excerpt from the article

Breastfeeding is best

The Regulations Relating to Foodstuffs for Infants and Young Children, published finally in 2012 in Government Gazette 35941 on 6 December 2012 endeavour to control the availability of products such as bottles and teats to the public in South Africa in order to dissuade the use of such items for purposes of administering foodstuffs to infants and young children.

The rationale underlying this control is the view held by the Department of Health that breast feeding is the method of feeding infants that should be preferred by new mothers.

In fact when one views the regulations and the measures that are to be introduced by these regulations in respect of the control of items such as bottles and teats, the controls are as vigorous as those imposed in respect of the advertising and selling of tobacco products.

The rigid nature of the regulations and the intention of the regulations may indeed lead some to argue that the environment created by the regulations is such that it stifles speech, a right protected in terms of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

The regulations are due to come into effect in a phased manner and the process will be as follows:

EFFECTIVE DATE REGULATION/S
6 June 2013 Prohibition on free or low-cost designated products and samples and displays of such products
6 December 2013
Sale and promotion of certain foodstuffs, feeding bottles, teats, feeding caps with spouts, straws or teats and gift packs
6 December 2014 Specific labelling and packaging requirements for "designated products", infant formula, complementary foods, liquid milks, powdered milks, modified powdered milks, sweetened condensed milk, imitation dairy, and goat’s milk products
6 December 2015 The transitional measures are amended from 18 months to 36 months

Full article can be found here: http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Nutrition-basics/How-badly-do-we-eat-20130702
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Interesting legislation regarding infant formula advertising etc.

Post by TarrynT on Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 9:22

I read this also, quite amazing!! Dont think it will force people to breastfeed though? Maybe just put more pressure which doesnt help. My clinic isnt even allowed to give us anything about formula.
TarrynT
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 6490
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 16:54

I badly wanted to breastfeed D and just couldn't, D had latching problems and I had no milk, so bottle feeding it was and what a battle! D had colic, got cramps for chopping and changing formula because he wasn't picking up weight and lactose intolerance. with W I made the decision not to breastfeed(Obvious reasons) (. If baby clinics refuse to give first time mothers information on bottle feeding and formula how are they suppose to know the ins and outs of formula feeding? figuring it out via trial and error at the expense of a tiny baby? I am talking about mothers who cant breastfeed
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 10908
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top