Chicken pox???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chicken pox???

Post by Sash on Tue 28 May 2013 - 7:27

Google is evil.....so I'll rather ask you ladies...

E woke up with tiny spots all over her back, some on her tummy and in her neck. Nothing behind her ears. In one place on her back I could see she scratched it and in that area were a lot more 'knoppies'. Now I know what chicken pox look like on adults but I've never seen them on babies. She doesn't have a fever but was very grumpy and not herself the last week and now have a snotty nose. That's it as far as I know. Could it be chicken pox? She got all her vacs!
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1601
Mood :
Registration date : 2010-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Chicken pox???

Post by Kitty on Tue 28 May 2013 - 9:38

Hi Sash

I am no expert, but it sounds more than something like German measles?

Please let us what it is, when you find out.
Kitty
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 860
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Tue 28 May 2013 - 9:49

Three of the teachers at school think it's chicken pox so I made an appointment at the doc for 2pm. Will update asap.
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by LilianJ on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:15

It also sounds like measles... But let us know!!
LilianJ
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2594
Mood :
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:17

Chicken pox usually starts with flu like symptoms such as a bad cough and snotty nose. Even if she had her vaccs she can still get it, just much lighter. sounds like chicken pox to me.
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:18

Does it blister? Zander blistered immediately thats how I knew. I had german measles but they were not itchy?
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alleycat on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:26

Let us know how it goes @ two
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4372
Registration date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by elleznom on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:28

xxx

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:29

Some of the spots look like very tiny blisters on top of the red, but only a few. She had what I thought was a cold over the weekend, not coughing just a snotty nose and VERY grumpy! She still sleeps with her dummy and it was as if it hurt her, she would take it out and say 'eina' pointing to her bottom lip.
Of coarse she wont let me look so I'm not sure if there are maybe blisters in her mouth.
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by emerald on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:29

C had measles and it was also red spots. It also started on his tummy and back, and he also had his vacs for it, so have it checked out.

emerald
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1530
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitty on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:51

W had chickenpox at 18 months after he had the vaccine at 12months. He had a light fever and cold like symptoms with about 15 to 20 spots all over, most on the upper part of the body and a few in his hair and behind his ears and neck. I only suspect chicken pox after I saw the blisters. Still thinks it is one of the measles.
Kitty
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 860
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Tue 28 May 2013 - 11:22

According to google images it does look more like german measles but I don't trust google.
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Tue 28 May 2013 - 12:15

D got Chicken pox and he had the vacc, he got about 20 pox. The spots appear on the body (back & front) first, then arms, legs etc. He had cold/flu symptoms a week before the first spots appeared!

By the time the spots appear the infectious period is already over.
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 10908
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Tue 28 May 2013 - 12:43

Doc says it's some allergy.... I'm not using new soap or washing powder and she didn't eat something strange so I have no idea what it could be! We do I start???
Just so happy that it's not measles or chicken pox or anything else that's going to keep us from work and school.
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Tue 28 May 2013 - 14:00

Sash Im not sure if I have you on FB but we had the exact same thing a few months ago, also turned out to be an allergy and I had no idea what it was since the only thing I did new was start a new bottle of Scotts Emulsion. Bought a new bottle, gave allergex and once it cleared gave from the new bottle....no problem. Gave him from the first bottle....spots were back.
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Wed 29 May 2013 - 6:24

No I don't think we're fb friends...? That is so weird Honey! You should e-mail them with the batch number, maybe Z's not the only one that had that reaction.
Es was soooo upset after the doc's visit yesterday that I couldn't go to dischem to get the meds so I just gave her allergex last night, this morning the spots are still there, you can feel them but not red as it was yesterday.

I changed from Nido to Nutri Kids about 10 days ago as NK is a thicker milk and she drank 600ml Nido every night before bed, but she already finished the 1st 900g tin, (still drinking 600ml at a time, just once a day) so I'm not sure if it is the milk. I think I'll go back to Novalac that she drank till she turned 1.

Her 1 cousin is very allergic to almost every thing you can be allergic to except nuts and her other cousin has 98% nut allergy, so I guess it runs in the family.... (damn in-laws!!)
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Wed 29 May 2013 - 6:59

If you suspect she has a food allergy, its best to have blood tests done! D had eczema since birth, post nasal drip sinus and then croup that last year switched to asthma and they did blood tests, he has a severe peanut (not a nut) allergy, low egg & milk allergy and also a severe allergy for benzoate a preserve that is very common in food and also in shampoo's and bath products!

He had all the symptoms of a wheat/gluten allergy, so I removed it completely from his diet and he is not allergic to it! I never would have guessed a preservative allergy.
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Wed 29 May 2013 - 7:03

scary thing, they might be allergic to something, like D who is highly allergic to peanuts, he had peanut butter on his bread every day and showed no reaction, it builds up and suddenly strikes with a big bang.

Unfortunately allergies are hereditary!

but maybe its just something in the new milk.
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Wed 29 May 2013 - 9:34

The doc said to give the meds a chance first, if it doesn't get better we'll have to start testing, but that can be damn expensive and it's not like she's sick, just snotty and now the rash.
I'm 1st going to ditch the formula and get her hypoallergenic bath products. If there's no improvement I'll start on other food, especially products containing colorants and acids.
I hate this, but so many moms have gone through it and survived so I'll ask for tips and begin the process of elimination. :Unsure
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Wed 29 May 2013 - 9:37

Her sister and I get very dry skin in winter and I even had to change E's lotion to Avon baby lotion last winter, so maybe it's just that, or something in the water? M's skin is so dry that it burns when I put cream on! Oh and she can be such a drama queen under normal circumstances!
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Wed 29 May 2013 - 10:07

allergy testing are very expensive, specially the specialized ones that test for colorants, additives and preservatives and those rasp/skin tests arent accurate so don't waste your MA/ money on that.

another thing, when you start the process of elimination, not all ingredients are listed only the common allergens egg, wheat, gluten, milk, nuts and peanuts are listed. so if it is an allergy that is causing the problem, its going to take a while to find the culprit.

D was hospitalized with asthma and the pead order allergy tests and it went through in hospital and that helped allot and I am actually thankful that he was in hospital because the next time he had peanut butter could've ended badly!

There is no way that I can completely avoid benzoate its a preserve found in 98% of medication (syrup) but I avoid it as far as possible and his eczema is 80% better, as well as the constant stuffy nose.
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Wed 29 May 2013 - 15:34

also have you given bed bugs or dust mites a thought? ommon misconception is that they breed in dirty bedding but its actually not true, we recently had it despite me changing the linen twice a week.

ive her mattress a good vacuum, spray with doom and leave it in the sun for a few hours. they love to breed in the seams of the mattress and not always visible to the naked eye.
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Thu 30 May 2013 - 8:44

I moved her onto a brand new bed less than a month ago and bought new linen/duvet/pillows so I don't think it can be dust mites. I have dust mite spray and spray all our beds often, will sommer do it again this wknd.
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top