Baby Food/ideas

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Baby Food/ideas

Post by Alleycat on Fri 17 May 2013 - 9:27

Need some more advice on food ladies,

Genevieve is doing very well in this category to the point where she bits down on her little spoon and then do not want to let go!! She is so funny, loves eating and all hell breaks loose if mamma takes too long 

I started to feed her sweet potato, then I made
-sweet potato, butternut & apple
-sweet potato, carrots & apple
-made last night green beans and sweet potato, must still see if she will eat this tonight.

Now she is already taking two teaspoons of cereal in the mornings mixed with two teaspoons of pear then at lunch time she has two teaspoons of mango and then for dinner 4 teaspoons of whatever mix I made and defrosted.

Am I giving her to much or too little (she will be 6 months on the first), I am bit scared that I over feed her but after each meal she wants more ?

Then I would like to start giving her less smooth food but not sure what to give, Dr Google gives so many different pointers that I really do not know anymore, what would you guys suggest
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4372
Registration date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Food/ideas

Post by elleznom on Fri 17 May 2013 - 10:43

We had the nicest baby food recipe sticky, I have no idea where it disappeared to!

I'll see if I can find some recipes...

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Fri 17 May 2013 - 11:25

try getting Annabele Karmel's baby food cook book.
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 10908
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandri on Mon 20 May 2013 - 8:21

Try Baby Led Weaning... So much easier!

MC - 5 February 2009 (6 weeks)

9 April 2012  BFP first beta 256 (15dpo), second beta 674 (17dpo), third beta 5544.80 (21dpo), heard the heartbeat on 26 April 2012 (123bpm)

16 November 2013 BFP first beta 48.3, second beta 119, third beta 263, fourth beta 1583, fifth beta 8240, heard the heartbeat on 3 December 2013 (111bpm)
Mandri

Number of posts : 10058
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://www.mandri-poasaddict.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~lani~ on Wed 22 May 2013 - 18:05

Def try annabel karmel cookbooks, the recipes are absolutely wonderful, quick, easy, delicious!
~lani~

Number of posts : 58
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Thu 23 May 2013 - 7:17

I never mixed fruit & Veg, I started giving fruit once they we used to veg, because fruit is naturally sweeter and some babies then refuse veg.

I first started with rice cereal once a day and couple of weeks later, twice a day, but I then started giving veg in the evening instead of cereal.

Veg I started with: butternut, sweet potato, squash, carrots I gradually added other veg. Sticking to the 5 day rule.

I bought packets of dried fruit and cooked & pureed them, mixed with joghurt and gave that as a snack between meals.

From 6 months I introduced protein, started with chicken, then beef and then fish (not shell fish)

Our feeding Routine looked like this:

Breakfast (oats) 08:00
Bottle of formula after breakfast

10:30 snack (fruit & yoghurt)
Bottle of formula

13:00-14:00 (depending on how long they napped) veg/ veg & protein
Bottle of formula

15:00-15:30 snack ( fruit/joghurt/ custard)
Formula

18:00 Supper (veg/ veg & protein)
Formula

W loved the Annable Karmel one pot chicken
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Joleen on Thu 23 May 2013 - 8:46

I also never mixed fruit & veg. I did sweet potatoes, potatoes, pumpkin, butternut, carrots, gem squash. No beans, peas or corn.

Fruits - stewed apple, pear, purity (custard & fruit) - initially

I stayed clear of citrus for the first year.
Joleen
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://singlemomtwins.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Thu 23 May 2013 - 9:13

I agree with Joleen, rather wait with citrus till she is 12 months, peanuts, shellfish and honey as well.

I introduced egg @ 9 months
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alleycat on Thu 23 May 2013 - 9:21

Thanks for the input ladies! Think I am on the right track, I was thinking to wait a bit longer with the proteins and was thinking of staying away from yogurt for a while. Is it really needed for yogurt?

Trying to get into the annable site, will go check it out tonight

oh ja for sure, no citrus, the nurses warned me Smile
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Thu 23 May 2013 - 9:35

Yoghurt is a wonderful, healthy snack plus its added probiotics! both my boys love yoghurt!
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alleycat on Thu 23 May 2013 - 10:38

what kind of yogurt did you get? I do see nestle have a baby one now? and how much do you give at a time?

Our feeding Routine looks like this:

Breakfast at school 08:00 two teaspoons of cereal and two teaspoons of banana and apple mix

Not sure now when they give Genna the bottles during the day, but I do pack in one formula and two bottles of breast now.

Lunch - 3 teaspoons of fruit (quava, mango and now also paw-paw)

18:00 Supper (veg) (amost 4 teaspoons of whatever I took out of the freezer that I made for her)

Then she drinks breast again say between 7:30 and 8 before she goes down.

See I don't know if I am feeding her enough and when I should increase her portions, and she always wants more afterwards, I don't think she will stop Smile

She is about a week away from 6 months
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Alleycat on Thu 23 May 2013 - 10:40

I think I was just busy repeating myself :Embarassed sorry so busy at work and still bit concerned that I may not be doing the right thing. Very uncertain about the food thing
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ~lani~ on Thu 23 May 2013 - 10:56

I downloaded the Annabel Karmel Weaning e-book from kalahari.net , there are several other of her books available as e-books, and hard copies.

The one I downloaded, is a stage by stage plan, with recipes, etc for each stage, and menu & meal planners.

Were not even there yet, but already planning, since this weaning rules etc changes all the time.

Apparently the feeding sense, from the baby sense range, is alo great.

I'm already reading up lots, best way to prepare i think!

But honestly, I think your doing great!
~lani~

Number of posts : 58
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Thu 23 May 2013 - 12:39

If she wants more, just add an extra teaspoon with every meal.

I bought the danino (red with little dragon on) yoghurt, but Woolies has a full cream yoghurt, I prefer full cream to low fat but at the end of the day yoghurt is yoghurt!

We dont have a woollies, so had to buy whatever P&P had.

start with half a tub at a time, just dont feed directly from the cup, saliva from the spoon makes the yoghurt go all water & runny, sppon some out into a little bowl and keep the rest in the fridge till later (opened yoghurt can be kept in the fridge for 4 days)
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey on Mon 27 May 2013 - 12:20

When you start egg, try the following, it sounds weird but Zander loved it: Make scrambled eggs and mash banana in when almost done. he went crazy for it. I still make it for breakfast for us now and just add mushrooms and bits of bacon. add some tomato sauce if you want.
Honey
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 683
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alleycat on Tue 28 May 2013 - 10:22

Ah cool, thanks Honey, she loves banana, will put that down in the book of tricks. I personally do not eat banana, that is the one thing I just cannot eat Puke
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by D on Tue 28 May 2013 - 13:50

Ladies - please help. Am I starting Annabelle late on solids? I have only started her on rice cereal this month and at the moment she is having only 3 teaspoons (before adding her milk) in the morning. She is going to be 6 months on the 13 June.
Her daddy says it is still too soon to start her on veggies and says we must start when she is 6 months old .... is this going to be bad for her - starting later??
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 630
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Tue 28 May 2013 - 16:25

I would suggest starting with veg once you introduce a second solid meal (evenings).

If she is happy, gaining weight like she should, sleeping well & no allergy reaction (rash, stuffy nose etc) to the cereal, continue with the cereal in the mornings and then from 6 months add a second meal (veggies)
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by D on Wed 29 May 2013 - 7:37

Its winter - she has had a stuffy nose but I thought it was because she was flueish .... how would I know the difference? I weighed her yesterday and she went down some weight by 150grams since last week. she sleeps well and doesnt have an allergy. Im taking her this coming month for her 6 month milestone visit with the paed ... now Im worried he craps me out for waiting so long to start her on solids ...
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by kandis on Wed 29 May 2013 - 7:44

Dalila the recommended age for solids is 6 months, so trust me your paed won't crap you out
Each child is diff and so are their needs, but best not to start too early as their digestive systems are not ready for it, sounds like you are doing great
Why not wait until her 6 month check up and have a chat with the paed about it and the he can guide you in the right direction
kandis
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4628
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Wed 29 May 2013 - 8:56

he wont crap you out for waiting till 6months, the only this worries me a bit is that she lost weight? (down 150g) she is not crawling and walking yet, so maybe its time to add another meal, maybe just phone the baby clinic and ask them or leave a message for your pead, I am sure he'll get back to you.

Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alleycat on Wed 29 May 2013 - 9:22

We gave cerial for about two weeks only in the mornings and then only at night time as well, but I struggled about a week for her to start eating. We also started at 4 months already, I phoned my pead before the time, maybe you should check in with the doctor before your appointment like Lilly is saying about the weight.

Are you struggling for her to take the cereal? I remember Genna was so difficult to the point that I thought I was doing something wrong Smile then after about 5 days I read some where that babies have reverence already, I thought ag what ever!!! But I still then got a maize cereal instead of the rice and she took it with no problem and from there she eats anything I put in her mouth Very Happy
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Wed 29 May 2013 - 10:35

oh and I gave rice cereal only in the beginning, early days just until they were used to eating solids and then I switched over to maze (purity the one you cook) and oats, but mostly oats because the boys loved oats and sometimes instead of milk, I mixed yoghurt (banana or strawberry) into the oats.
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by D on Wed 29 May 2013 - 14:04

She eats the rice cereal really well - she is a little more active lately - stretching her arms out and getting all excited bouncing and kicking her legs and stuff ... but Thank You for making me feel more relaxed. She isnt sitting up for long yet, and she isnt turning onto her belly yet - although she doesnt lie still when I change her nappy or bath her - hahaha. I try having tummy time with her but she HATES it - 1 min and then she starts crying ...
Im gonna try to get in another meal - maybe give cereal at lunch time again. She is on a "feed on demand" routine - so she drinks when she ask for it - usually about 3.5 hrs - sometimes 4 hrs - and I make a 240ml bottle in the morning and at night and during the day she wont drink more than 180ml - so I dont force her.
She sleeps from about 8.30 - 9.30pm (last bottle) and lately has been waking at 5am again. Is this all correct?
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Wed 29 May 2013 - 14:38

she not active enough to loose weight, they usually loose weight when they start crawling & walking/running.

Feeding on demand is fine but try and stick to a "time frame" when it comes to meals, family meals & eating out will be easier when she is older eg. give her breakfast when you have breakfast, same with lunch and later supper. She should not drink more than 1L milk per 24hours, although I never limited the boys milk intake, W is almost 3 and drinks 750ml per day, both boys have healthy bones & teeth, as long as they eat and milk does not replace a meal they can drink as much milk as they want.

If you decide to start with veg, pureed butternut is a great first food, most babies like it, because its a natural sweet veg. Pumpkin also keeps you fuller for longer.

D hated tummy time, I would put on his tummy and he would cry and later roll over, in the end I just left it. Try for a minute twice a day, go down on her level and pull funny faces or place a mirror (that she cant reach and pull over) close enough that she can see herself, babies & toddler love mirrors, its like having a friend lol

she sounds like a great sleeper!

by the sound of things you doing a stunning job & no need to worry.
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next