A Little Advice

Go down

A Little Advice

Post by Ms Quillin on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 9:40

Hi Ladies,
So we have officially told all our closest friends and family that we decided to adopt and the news was received well on all sides. Now we are debating whether or not to just make it public on our Facebook pages. What do you think? It's all the people we work with etc who are going to find out anyway... or should we wait until the screening is officially over and we've been approved? I so badly just want to do it, but am a bit scared to on the other hand.
What did you do? Or what would you do? :confuzzed
Thanks!
Ms Quillin

Number of posts : 24
Mood :
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: A Little Advice

Post by Lilly on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 10:04

I am a very private person, so posting on FB is not my style, plus you might forget to tell someone and then they find out via FB and end up with someone who feels left out, not important enough.. but that is just me!
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 10908
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Quillin on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 10:10

I am also normally a very private person, but i think the best way with this is to not 'hide' it and be open about it to everyone. i don't want the SW to think that we are ashamed of adopting by hiding it... know what i mean? it's difficult as not everyone is so open towards adopting. i was pleasantly surprised by all the positive reactions we got. someone even said "it's about time". but i want to make myself ready for the negative reactions that could come. and i'd rather someone write on my Facebook wall or message me on Facebook than face them in person because it could become a very heated argument. also because i can just delete whatever they said on Facebook. so everybody that matters, knows. the rest don't matter as much, but they will find out and i'd rather it be from me, being open about it on Facebook, than a whisper coming from somewhere and then they think i am ashamed of adopting. but on the other hand, it's not their business, is it? ugh, so confused about how to handle this.
Ms Quillin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 10:11

I feel the same as Lilly. And once everyone knows you'll be bombarded with questions and opinions that may confuse you.
Some will tell you not to do it and tell you you will fall pregnant when the time is right and others will ask every week when is the baby coming or how the process is coming along.
It may take years before the right baby comes into your lifes and people wont always understand it.
It's diffirent from a +'ve pregnancy test where you know when to expect what to happen.

That's just my opinion. wink Tell a few close friends maybe, just to share your excitement.
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1601
Mood :
Registration date : 2010-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Haz on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 10:14

Personally i'd only tell close friends and family - if people feel left out - SORRY FOR THEM... You are going to need support and it will be nice to have that from the people who generally care and love you and not the ones who just want something to talk about

Haz

Number of posts : 126
Mood :
Registration date : 2013-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanja on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 10:53

I agree with Sash on that.
Tanja
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1631
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Quillin on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 12:54

Looks like you're all in one mind. I'll follow your advise. Thanks ladies.
but as soon as we get that very special call, i am shouting it to the world in bold capital letters! Smile
Ms Quillin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 7:27

Good luck Ms Quillin

I hope you have a short wait till you can announce to the world that you are a mommy.
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Quillin on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 7:31

Thanks Kerryw. Smile I can't wait! Very Happy
Ms Quillin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Joleen on Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:02

With out having read the posts, I would say not. Just now the social worker looks at your page and it could put her off. Tell people but not on a public platform.
Joleen
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://singlemomtwins.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down