A first time, scared mama to be...

Go down

A first time, scared mama to be...

Post by Saffasunshine on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 11:20

Hi everyone!

So I'm new to this! A friend introduced me to the site because it's my first pregnancy and it's been a really tough one so far!! Here's my story...

I married the man of my dreams in May 2012 in Sydney Australia. I came back to SA a week later to sort out my visa etc. 2 weeks after that I found out I was preggers! We were so excited even though it was tough being apart. Had my first scan and saw baby was healthy and had a strong heart beat! Just a week after my scan, when I was 7 weeks, I was in an accident. Baby was fine but I was shaken. Stress levels peeked over the next few weeks as I waited for my visa.

Just 2.5 weeks ago, I got my visa! Yay! So I decided to go on a mini vacation with my mom. A kind of farewell. My worst nightmare came true. I was bleeding. Oh no. 

I was stuck 550kms from home and my doctor. I was terrified and in an absolute panic. And so was my mom. We began the trip home. We made it to my doc and was rushed straight into a scan. Baby T was fine. But I wasn't. And neither was the future of my pregnancy. I was told I was at risk of miscarrying. I was given meds to relax my womb and sent home for the night. During the night, the bleeding intensified and I didn't sleep much. 

The next morning we headed to the hospital. After another scan and exam, it was determined that the placenta bled, but had stopped. The doc said it was because of my stress levels and due to it being low it was agitated by the bumpy roads. However, the doc also picked up I have a short cervix. This wasn't an immediate danger, but could lead to premature labour in a few days or weeks. I may need surgery. I was admitted. 

Great... My first hospital stay and My first surgery, to save my baby. Too much to handle. Was put onto a drip with meds to relax my womb so that contractions didn't start, and onto progesterone to settle baby T and help maintain a healthy womb. Sigh. I was exhausted. 

Wednesday melted into Thursday and I was on strict bed rest. Luckily the bleeding was minimal and doc booked a scan for Friday morning. The scan was ok. Baby T was still fine. Bleed has stopped. But he was still worried about the cervix. So, as a precaution, I was booked for surgery, for that morning, to do a Macdonald stitch. Basically, stitching my cervix so that it won't open and cause labour. I was shitting myself and so worried for baby. My first surgery. I am pregnant. It could cause labour. My husband was 11500kms away. I was a wreck. 

At 11:00 I was wheeled to the waiting area for the theatre. By 12ish, I was under and by 1:30, I was back in my ward. Luckily anaesthesia doesn't disagree with me and it all went well. 2 more days in hospital, on bed rest (wasn't even allowed to the loo). Sunday morning I was discharged, still on bed rest.

My follow was yesterday and it went well. I am allowed to travel in about a week. I know this may seem silly, but I have been so stressed and wondered if anyone else has been through something similar or has the stitch and has any advice or help?!

I am so glad I registered and can talk to others about this!

XxxX

Last edited by Saffasunshine on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 12:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
Saffasunshine

Number of posts : 4
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: A first time, scared mama to be...

Post by elleznom on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 11:33

Hi and welcome.

I am sorry for all the stress so far, but glad Baby T is doing fine thus far.

There are a few ladies that had a stitch, so I am sure they can give some much needed advice and support for you.

Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Alleycat on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 12:01

:Welcome3:

I am so sorry that you had to deal with all of this with your husband so far away. Hope things just go better from here! Good luck
Alleycat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4372
Registration date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Aliweb on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 12:17

Welcome! Hope the rest of your pregnancy is smooth sailing!

It must be terrible to be so far away from your hubby. Hopefully you will see him soon!
Aliweb

Number of posts : 263
Mood :
Registration date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanja on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 13:38

Welcome girl.
Hope all goes well with baby T.
How far pregnant are you now?
Tanja
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1631
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffasunshine on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 13:49

Thank you ladies!

@ Tanya - I am 15 1/2 weeks!
Saffasunshine

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanja on Fri 24 Aug 2012 - 13:52

Congrats.
I believe that the rest of your pregnancy will go smoothly. big hug
Tanja
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 6:38

HI

What a stress and without DH to hold your hand. I had the stich put in at 12 weeks and all went well. But by 30 weeks my gynea said thank goodness it was in as I would have had my babies by then without it.

It is better to have it put in early a good friend had hers put in at 25 weeks and that has a higher risk.

I spent my last 7 weeks on bed rest and one fo them in hospital. Bed rest is frustrating and tiring as I found I had to lie down flat not even half sitting or I could feel my uterus contract. I was also on drugs to relax my uterus. so DH brought me meals and I got frustrated as I had to work from home and it is hard to work on a laptop while lying down.

SOmeone leant me a wheel chair which really helped as walking was a big no but on the wheel chair I could at least once or twice a week get out.

if all goes well you should be up and about again soon, but just remember to take it easy - no heavy lifting no excersize sit often - play the at risk pregnant card.

All the best when do you fly back to Aus? where are you living in Aus??
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by D on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 8:36

big hug
D
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 630
Mood :
Registration date : 2012-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumi on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 8:47

Hope everything goes well and God is with you and that baba all the way!
Pumi
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3490
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffasunshine on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 8:25

Thank you for all the support and help ladies! 16 week scan today, so I will keep you all updated!

@Kerryw I leave for Aus in a week, next Tuesday. We have just moved into a terrace in Leicchardt in Sydney.

for you
Saffasunshine

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanja on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 8:38

Saffasunshine, you must get AlleyCat to add your pregnancy on the Preggo Lounge update.
Tanja
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandri on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 10:30

Welcome to OPM!

Glad everything is well with Baby T. Just try and relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Once you are back with your DH you will already feel so much better!

MC - 5 February 2009 (6 weeks)

9 April 2012  BFP first beta 256 (15dpo), second beta 674 (17dpo), third beta 5544.80 (21dpo), heard the heartbeat on 26 April 2012 (123bpm)

16 November 2013 BFP first beta 48.3, second beta 119, third beta 263, fourth beta 1583, fifth beta 8240, heard the heartbeat on 3 December 2013 (111bpm)
Mandri

Number of posts : 10058
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://www.mandri-poasaddict.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffasunshine on Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 5:47

@ Tanya, I will do! Smile

Just had to update you all on baby T following the 16 wk scan yesterday. It went so well!!! Baby has moved into a much better position and has lessened stress on the cervix! Growing well and looks very comfy!!! Doc is very happy and expects a healthy pregnancy going forward!

Thank you to everyone for all the love and support and wishes!!

XxxxX
Saffasunshine

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by rena on Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 15:51

Welcome to OPM, the best place and with the most wonderful ladies to help and lend support.

Sorry for all the stress, but try and relax and as most of the ladies advise take it easy
rena
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 872
Mood :
Registration date : 2010-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down