NOT ADOPTION

Go down

NOT ADOPTION

Post by Tessa on Tue 8 May 2012 - 9:38

Hi Ladies, I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes, we don't want to adopt as this really takes long and we have been out there for 2 years now, so we thougth over the weekend maybe if we can go to a place like "children's homes" and start taking care of little ones, where would I start something like this, How to go about this:?????
Tessa
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1014
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: NOT ADOPTION

Post by emerald on Tue 8 May 2012 - 10:21

Not too sure Tessa, just think it is incredible what you guys want to do. i always wanted to do something like that but never did, so glad you are actually doing something.

emerald
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1530
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele on Tue 8 May 2012 - 10:46

Tessa - when we still lived in Cape Town we went to our nearest Children's Home to find out more about becoming "weekend parents".

The Children's Home have meetings from time to time for people who want to volunteer their services to the home. In short they told us that its not that easy and quick to become weekend parents. You will first have to be at the home a few times a week to help some of the kids with homework so that you and the kids can be assessed and help on Saturdays with hotdog braais etc or whatever they have planned.

They eventually chat to you and hubby after a while and also children to see who liked you etc but they also said that you can't just choose the children cause it is a bit more complicated as some kids have alot of "pshycological problems" and they dont always place them if they feel they are not emotionally ready. She also said that you have a lot of trouble makers who comes back and dishes up lies or they had incidents where the kids run away from the "weekend parents" to go out etc. - Obviously not all of them are like that.

When we asked about the babies she said that they prefer only volunteer work with the babies and if you want to become a weekend parent then they look at the "older children".

But children homes may differ from one another and yours might not be the same. I suggest you contact your closest children home and request if they have "open evenings" or what do you have to do if you want to become a weekend parent.
Adele
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 7710
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessa on Tue 8 May 2012 - 11:36

Thanks for your help Adele, yes Emerald we are going to give this a try as we might be of some assistance.
Tessa
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Wed 9 May 2012 - 9:04

I think that is a great idea tessa. I think y ou should contact the homes individually. I know a baby shelter in PE had people come and play with the babies regularly in the shelter for stimuation.
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessa on Fri 11 May 2012 - 12:35

How strange is this, I have already contacted 3 childrens homes here by us and all of them said they would get back to me on what do I need to do etc, its been 3 days and when I phone back this morning the one lady told me I need to be patient they will contact me, I mean when do they anticipate to contact me, I will follow all their rules etc, just make me part of something or am I toooooo eagerly. I will obey all their rules etc, don't expect to take any child home on my first visit.
Tessa
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele on Fri 11 May 2012 - 13:27

We found the same Tessa. They are definately not over eager
Adele
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 7710
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacy on Fri 20 Jul 2012 - 12:01

We also found the same!!! All these places cry for help, but my impression was that unless you have a cheque book, people arnt always interested!!! I gave up!!!

My friend did it in Durban, but it was through her daughters school. It was quite hectic in that the little one she took on weekends was quite a handful. She had no concept of what things cost, or stranger danger (AT ALL!!!) And we would have to watch the little girl like a hawk! Her bigger sister was in my friends daughters class so she would take them both!

When they were taken back to the home on Sundays, the staff didn't even bother to get off their big butts and leave the TV room and come out and greet the children, or find out if there was any issues etc. It was very sad!! But a total lack of interest for these kids!

You would think the homes would be so grateful for people taking kids off their hands ( at ones own expense) for the weekends hey!!!
Stacy

Number of posts : 76
Mood :
Registration date : 2010-01-13

http://assistsa.gayl@lantic.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherine on Fri 20 Jul 2012 - 12:07

I know our church runs a baby home and are always keen for volunteers to go and play with the children,etc. so perhaps if you know of a church that runs a baby home you might have more luck.

I know friends of my parents had children for weekends and holidays over the years and found it a wonderful experience. They tended to have the same children and now that the boys are grown up they are still a big part of the family.
Love Katherine
Katherine

Number of posts : 468
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacy on Fri 20 Jul 2012 - 12:19

Yes, I think my friends church was also somehow involved!
Worth a try...
Stacy

Number of posts : 76
Mood :
Registration date : 2010-01-13

http://assistsa.gayl@lantic.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down