What makes a fat person FAT??

Go down

What makes a fat person FAT??

Post by Zee on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 8:22

I was just wondering what makes a fat person fat?
Do they eat too much constantly, Do they eat too much chocolate and cookies and bread and fats?

My sister is heavily overweight and she insists that she doesnt eat a lot AT ALL. Almost nothing during the day.

I know they say the less you eat the slower your metabolism and the more difficult it is to lose weight but I always think, if she got put on a deserted island and ate NOTHING, she'd shed the kilos in no time. So Im not sure I believe her story.

I know for a fact that I start picking up weight when I start to eat sweet things (chocolate bar here or there, fizzy drink, white bread etc). But......as soon as I cut that out and start making changes like cutting out sweet things, change white bread to whole wheat bread, change fizzy drinks to maybe lime and soda, I start to lose weight.

Isnt it 100% a lifestyle change?

Dont want to step on anyones toes but was just wondering if Im being too harsh on her!!

I know losing weight is VERY VERY hard as I sometimes have to revert to diet pills myself to see results but its not IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight.
Zee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3182
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: What makes a fat person FAT??

Post by Adele on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 8:37

In my case - too many cookies, crisps, chocolates and coke. I dont really love food. I will never have a second helping of food but give me a platter filled with snacks and pastries etc, I would eat and eat and eat.

In my case - I just can't stop. I know I must but I dont. I don't know moderation. I would easily have a chocolate every night and cookies
Adele
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 7710
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Danni on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 8:50

I do think sometimes it's in someone's genes though, and they have to basically not eat anything 'lekker' or they put on weight. I have a friend who eats like a bird, otherwise she will put on a lot of weight, which he has lost over the last 2 years...

I also think it could be your blood type, and how your body receives certain foods, e.g a LOT of people lose weight VERY quickly when they cut out startches from their diet... That's why I think this Dr Cohen's diet really works as we can see with the ladies who are on it... Eating according to your own specific blood type etc... Don't know how it really works, but it works! Hehehehe Smile

I do believe your sister could lose a lot of her weight, but I don't think she really WANTS to... or else we would have seen a change? I know your brother puts on weight hectically with white bread! So maybe that all runs in the family? The starches/carb thing...
Danni
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 8:57

Mmm, ja, I guess its a bit of both. Eating too much sugary treats as well as blood type.

Carbs is no ones best friend!

I know for a fact that if I eat too much carbs, in just a week, I'll pick up like 2kg easily. So ja, I guess it just runs in the family BUT, I make the decision NOT to eat that way!!

But you again, Danni, can eat sugary or starch and hardly pick up weight hey? Just noticed, cause I know you love your pancakes and scones! Smile
Zee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Danni on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 9:14

LOL Zee! True that! My mom was always very thin growing up... She only picked up real weightr cos she did some hectic weight training to try and sort out her back, and then those muscles turned to fat obviously at a later stage... So it's definitely in our genes, very very blessed as I really don't put on wieght easily... BUT after Zeke I struggled to lose that belly, and 3 weeks of cutting out pasta, white bread, and rice (not basmati) and my tummy was much flatter...

@ Adele, this ne time I decided to stop drinking Coke and eating choccies, and I managed for a long long time... Then when eventually I drank coke, it tasted absolutely horrible and the choclate was SO sweet I could only eat ONE bite!... So weird.
Danni
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 9:21

Its very true about reducing your sugar and when you eat it again, its EXTREMELY sweet.

Growing up I always had 2.5 spoon fulls of sugar in my coffee, now I only have 1 sometimes 1.5 depending on the cup size, so when I visit people and they make a cup of coffee for me it's SO sweet I can hardly drink it. But its just how your taste buds get accustomed to the sweetness.
Zee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Danni on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 9:25

True! and in America the sweets and coolies are EVEN SWEETER! You can almost not finish anything, it's horrendously sweet!
Danni
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Candice on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 10:52

Not eating much is the problem! if u dont eat 5 small meals or 3 main meals a day you will pick up weight because your body starves itself and when you do it it holds onto everything because it doesnt know when it will be getting food again so it stores all the fat thus slowing down the metabolism and causing a person to become over weight Smiley
Candice
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 503
Mood :
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Candice on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 10:55

My problem isnt the sweet stuff its the actual food, i have to control my portion because food makes me gain weight faster than sweet goods! Strange hey!
Candice
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 503
Mood :
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Bat on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 15:08

Everyone is different when it comes to the foods they eat. I used to be stick thin at school and only at the end of school did I start picking up weight but it also had a lot to do with my health. The tumour I had made my hormones make my body "think" I was pregnant for about 10 years till my tumour finally disappeared last year. I tried so many things to loose weight and nothing worked from starving myself to eating many meals to cutting out certain foods etc and now I am finally slowly loosing weight and the biggest reason is because my hormones are almost back where they should be after everything.

I've looked at the eating for your blood type and I would never survive as all the things I like (and I'm not talking sweets and chocs) I'm not supposed to eat according to their diet.

Another big issue for people is that e are all too busy often to get in proper exercise often enough.

Sometimes I will agree it is a choice and what you eat like to much sugar or carbs but sometimes it's something not fully in your control.
B-Bat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3236
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee on Thu 16 Feb 2012 - 6:43

Shame B-Bat that sound horrible having the tumor and hormones being all over the place.

I think there are a lot of exceptions it seems.

I guess everyone is different.
Zee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Landie on Thu 16 Feb 2012 - 7:18

In my case its hormones not working - a lot of stuff can cause this to happen - stress, abuse, miscarriages, pregnancies, not eating, over eating, emotional eating.
Landie
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 5144
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee on Thu 16 Feb 2012 - 7:55

Thanks Landie. I know my sister does have A LOT of stress.

Divorced a year ago and supports her 2 kids (Rent, Schooling, Food) just on her salary. A huge financial burden and the father pays maintenance only when he feels like it, with some money here or there during the month.
She is in another relationship but he has his own living costs to pay so as much as he tries to help her its still VERY difficult for her trying to make ends meet every month.

Maybe her hormones are playing a big roll here!
Zee
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Bat on Mon 20 Feb 2012 - 10:19

Zee from the little bit I'm reading from you it's very likey that it's a mixture of stress, hormones and not really having time to prepared healthier meals and spend time exercising.

Remember also that the quick cheap meals that many single parents rely on can be very high in sugar, salt and fat which can also all contribute to weight gain especially over time.
B-Bat
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3236
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down