Strollers

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strollers

Post by Sash on Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 8:25

As a mom expecting twins, I have to buy a whole lot of new baby equipent suitable for my 2 babies, including a double pram/stroller, camp cots, beds etc.!!

Please tell me what has worked, or didn't work, for you.

I have to decide on a double pram/stroller.......tandum or side by side? And please give me reasons for the one you like or dislike.

Also, the twins will stay in the same room, do I put them on a double bed or 2 single beds?? (later when they're old enough that is)

Do I put them in the same camp cot at first or each in their own?? And in our room or their own??

Although I have a toddler of 3 1/2, this is a completely new experience to me and I feel so clueless!!
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1601
Mood :
Registration date : 2010-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Strollers

Post by DJMommy on Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 12:53

Hi Sash

I would recommend the Maclaren side by side stroller. That pram fits through all doors and folds up to u decent size and is quite light weight.

My boys were in their own room from day 1. In the beginning they shared a cot, but I moved them to their own cots when they were about 1 and a half month old, as I had to raise Daniels matress due to his reflux etc.
They are still in their cots but when they are old enough to get 'big beds', I will get 2 single beds.

Shame hun, it is very overwhelming, but it will all fall in to place. Have you registered with SAMBA yet?

You can ask as many questions as you need to!

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
AMH: 0.6
1x IVF (Sept 09)
1st Beta 20/09/09: 208
2nd Beta 21/09/09:290
3rd Beta 25/09/09: 1985
4th Beta 29/09/09: 10318
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 15278
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-01

http://myttclife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena on Thu 7 Apr 2011 - 13:28

I remember when Eve found out she was having twins.................. PANICK was an understatement and now she just glides through it like a pro!
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8733
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DJMommy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 5:51

LOL SHeena!!! I only got to grips with the thought of having twins when I was about 5 months pregnant!!!!!!

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
1x IVF (Sept 09)
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 6:10

SAMBA????

Another thing, when did you start showing a bump?? Did you BF and how did it work for you??
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by DJMommy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 6:27

SAMBA - South African Multiple Birth Association. Loads of information there, you also meet up with other multiple moms etc etc. Google it!
I tried keeping 'mum' about my pregnancy until 12 weeks, but I showed early and people were getting suspicious from about 10 weeks.
I never breast fed. I never got enough milk in, so it was formula from day 1 for them

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
1x IVF (Sept 09)
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 6:33

Oh my hat!! I hope I can BF this time, had no milk with DD and with twins it will get quite expensive!!

I googled it, wil deffo join. Just waiting for my next scan on the 20th, I'm still in disbelieve!!! :Shocked

I know they give a lot of info on the website, but how did SAMBA help you??
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by DJMommy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 6:42

I have met a few people through SAMBA. ALso I found some useful websites or contacts in their magazine that they send out to members, and just general handy info!

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
1x IVF (Sept 09)
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by DJMommy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 6:45

Oh, and you also get discounts at certain stores on certain items if you show your SAMBA card. Not muc discount, but every bit helps!

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
1x IVF (Sept 09)
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 8:44

HI

The maclaren is good but I prefer the city mini cause teh wheels are nice and big and it is easier to push and it also goes through doors. but also look at second hand prams. It is worth buying second hand. I got car seats from a friend I trusted so that was a big save.

Both my boys shared a camp cot till 7 months when they were too big to lie across the cot. They say it is good for them to be near each other.

Persever witht he BF it is worth it (money wise) ask for those pills that help your milk come in. also remember it can take 6 days to come in.

Be prepared for anything during your pregnancy too as most of the people I know developed complications at some point and spent more or less time in hospital. You will have to let your boss know so he is prepared. And finally they may be prem adn that is OK at lot ofthe twins here were premadn are doign fine. I think only Eve adn Page were lucky.
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 10:51

Thanx Kerry, I'll keep all this in mind! My boss already knows I'm expecting twins and although she's not a very 'warm' person, I don't expect her to be difficult, her 1st grandson is 8 weeks old and her daughter stays with her, so I think it helps that she's been through a pregnancy with her daughter recently!

My gynae said he'll give me something for my milk later on 'cause I really want to BF them for as long as I can.

What brand is the city mini pram? I guess we'll have to go to Pta for that, we only have a Baby Boom in Rustenburg and it's not very big!!

What 'surprises' did you have in you pregnancy? I'm so very scared of the next 6 months, I actually want to cry everytime I think about it. I'm NOT in tip top shape and has high BP, I had cervical cancer and a part of my cervix had to be removed, so you can imagine, a twin pregnacy will not be the easiest thing for me to go through!!
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by DJMommy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 10:56

I had a stitch put in at about 18 weeks as my cervix was shortening

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
1x IVF (Sept 09)
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 11:09

I'm thinking of that, but heard it has it's own risks? Was yours done in theatre? When did they remove it and how?
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by DJMommy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 11:26

Yes, mine was done in theatre. It was taken out at the delivery

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
1x IVF (Sept 09)
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 11:36

I'm just so scared and can't stop thinking that something is going to happen to my babies. It's still so unreal and I don't even want to start buying things for the 2 as I'm too scared that something will happen to them! When will I come to terms with it and enjoy my pregnancy!! I feel guilty for not trusting and believing that they will be fine but can't stop!

I just read all the posts in the 'Welcome' section and noticed that 99% of the babies had to stay in NICU for weeks!!
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by DJMommy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 11:47

I know what you are going through! I never relaxed completely, to be honest. I kept checking for blood etc etc. But I had a good gynae who reassured me, and that made a difference

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
1x IVF (Sept 09)
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 11:56

I had some breakthrough bleeding a week ago and almost fainted!! Was so worried and my gynae is out of the country. I started taking progesterone the day before and later found out it can cause the bleeding!! I'm still on constant nicker watch and can't relax no matter what I try!!
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy on Fri 8 Apr 2011 - 12:22

Hi Sash

It is very overwhelming expecting twins and to be honest I never completely relaxed during my pregnancy. I was very worried about pre-term labour and was relieved when I reached each "milestone" - ie 26 weeks, 28 weeks, 30 weeks etc etc.

A twin pregnancy is a high risk pregnancy and there can be complications. My babies were born at 34 weeks, not because I went into labour, but because my Dr picked up quite a large discrepancy in size and was worried about the cord flow of my daughter. Be prepared for a stay in NICU as this is very likely with a twin birth.

I think my biggest advice is not to have any preconceived ideas of how you will do things or cope with things. That way you will not be disappointed if for eg they do end up in NICU or you can't breastfeed.

I was hoping to breastfeed, but I did not have enough milk for both babies exclusively so I expressed what I could and topped up with formula. It was also easier to express and then give them a bottle rather than put directly to the breast as they were so different in size.
Wendy
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 895
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Joleen on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 12:23

Hi Sash

To find out that you are expecting twins is extremely overwhelming for me it was. I am also a single mom (conceived with the help of donor sperm through AI). I found out at six weeks I was expecting twins. I am blessed with a pigeon pair. I carried till 37 weeks and delivered via c-section. I also have BP and my gynae adjusted my medication and I was 100% blood pressure wise throughout my pregnancy. My twins stayed in NICU for two and a half weeks. I did not BF and tried expressing for the first few days but after five days called it quits. I was extremely anxious (new mom, could not drive, single dependent on people with twins in high care). My twins went on Nan and no problems from day 1 on it. Yes, you must join SAMBA, discounts great but lovely magzine with helpfull hits and they often have get togethers especially in Gauteng and Cape Town areas. They also have a wonderful network and support system and they will phone you in the beginning to see how you are doing.

My twins shared a cot as soon as my daughter came out of her incubator. I wanted them together. They shared a cot for about three months (and share a room). About a month ago (21 months) I put them into single beds. No problems. Sleep like a dream still.

I bought double stroller (side by side) which I did not use alot. I went to the shops with them about three times. My nanny used to push them around the townhouse complex were I live. For me, it was a waste. I did not go out with my twins besides going to friends. To pack all the stuff and them and work around feeding and nap times. Too much effort. But judging from the other moms they got good use out of their prams. Also as soon as my son could walk he did not want to sit in the pram and preferred doing the pushing than being pushed.

Shout if there is anything else you need to know.

Being a twin mommy is great Very Happy
Joleen
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2987
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://singlemomtwins.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 18:03

Hi!
I also have the Maclaren, it is the best! Besides fitting through doors(many twin prams don't!) it also folds up the smallest and is the lightest, not too mention relatively cheap. I used it almost from birth.

My twins were in separate camping cots fromt he beginning, because I had them each on breathing monitors. They were also in their own room from the first day.

I agree with Wendy, don't have too many preconceived ideas, and no matter how daunting it seems, you will cope. One just finds ways to get the job done!

Oh and BTW, I did manage to breastfeed them both for 2 months - although I had to express and bottle feed them the milk.For me expressing worked well. BUT it gest exhausting and I seem to be a bit of an exception in this so don't put too much stress on yourself re breastfeeding!

I would advise though, to get used to the idea that yours may have to spend time in the NICU. It was very hard for me to leave them behind, because I really thought I would make it to term and it was such a shock to have mine at 34 weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 6:18

Thanks hun!! I think I'll come back to this thread and read it again and again as the birth gets closer. I'm STILL in denial and strongly believes the best gynae in town has made a mistake and I'm only having one!! :Worry

But then again, I had to put on my first (humungus) (SP??) maternity top this morning as NOTHING fits!!! I was about to burst out in tears out of frustration and my whole wardrobe ended on the floor as I couldn't get anything over my massive boobs!! Some of my pants that were a little loose now hurts me, but I managed to squeeze my ass into one of them as I'm too lazy to take my maternity pants in to have them made shorter. It sucks being short and pregnant (with twins!!Twisted ), I look like something from a scary movie!! :confused

I've already gained 2kg and I'm not even 9 weeks yet!! Bawl Eyes Out

Ok, rant over!! I love the fact that I'll be rewarded with not 1 but 2 little babies at the end of this dreadfull journey and although I've never liked being PG, I'll do it again if I have to!! The reward is so worth it!! wink
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 6:54

Shame! I am short too and I tell you I looked like a round bus by the end! Just FYI the recommended weight gain for a healthy twin pregnancy is about 20kgs, so maternity wear isn't a bad investment at this point!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sash on Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 7:03

The problem is all the maternity wear in the shops is already winter stuff and from all the hormones i can't imagine wearing winter clothes any time soon!! I bought this one top at Edgars that will deffo fit me till my due date with the twins, it's huge, and that's what I was forced to wear today as nothing else fit!! :Shocked

With my first PG i got a few shirts from Mr Price that was actually not bad looking, now they have nothing I would even wear at home!!
Sash
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 7:59

good luck Sash we are all here with lots of advice. Like Wendy says dont expect anything and nothing will be more stress then it should.

be prepared for NICU it is not the worst thing in the world. They take good care of your LOs and you get to recover from the ceasar. They also teach you alot before you go home.

I would think about getting a second opinon on your pregnancy from a high risk obstrician. I had a stich inserted at 12 weeks no trouble and I was lucky cause it prevented me going into labour at 29 weeks I managed to hold on with lots of bed rest to 35 weeks. Also you dont always have a choice about the stitch often you have to have it.

Tow of m y freinds and I had trouble with bladder infections at the end of our second trimesters and they cause trouble in twin pregnancies so you need to watch out and be prepared for that. Early on other than not fitting into pants twin preg is not really too much more risky than a singleton. It is really just at the end.
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 8:57

I didn't have a stitch and I never had premature contractions or dilatation of the cervix, I had rupture of membranes at 34 weeks, which wouldn't have been prevented by a stitch. Also if you had a previous uneventful pregnancy is it less likely that you will need one, but like Kerry said, get expert opinions!

I ended up in size 18 tops haha! Up from 8 or 10!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum