Diet update...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diet update...

Post by Sheena on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:15

So... Master Keagan generously made me sick. My poor lungs feel like they are on fire, along with my throat and ear! (Feeling sorry for myself - LOL)

So off I tootle to the Dr lately which I might add has become excessively expensive. :Shocked

We were chatting and she said to me that it looks like my weight has stablised a bit. (I don't think so but anyway).

She asked me how the low GI diet was going and I said I had changed over to Dr Zipp's diet cause my weight had started to do funny things on the low Gi.

She asked me to please stop it and got back onto the low Gi eating plan as although Dr Zipp's diet drops Kg's, in the medical profession they see it as a faddish type of diet and it is not sustainable in the long run. She said I may lose now but I will gain it again.

That is what I was worried about......... GRRRRRRRRRRRR so my question was answered and I have reverted back to my trusty low Gi eating plan from my dietician that I have faith in. It was playing on my mind when I asked you girls what you thought and I think that I have made the right decision for my health.

The weight may come off slower but now that I am exercising it should kick back in. I HOPE.

The low Gi thing did work for me in the beginning and only went horribly wrong after Geoff died but maybe now that I am not so down and miserable anymore and that the grief is slowly improving, maybe it will work again.

So lets see!

I really do believe that the only way to lose weight (when there are not too many other influencing medical factors) is to eat healthy with everything in moderation, to exercise and drink loads of water.

Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8733
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Diet update...

Post by Des on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:32

Sheens who recommended the Dr Zipps diet to you, wasnt it also a professional?

Des
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3478
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:38

Des, as far as I know the Dr Zipp's diet is the one where you can't mix meat with starches (protiens and carbs)? There's been so much conflicting information about it but when I was studying - they said that basically, meat uses one type of acid/alkili to digest and carbs uses another one - the only real benefit is that you don't feel bloated etc, and the "weight loss" is actually not "real" if that make sense!

There's also the no carb diet and people don't realise YOU NEED CARBS for your body to work, Carbs give you energy and if you don't have stored energy then your body uses your muscles and what is your heart? A muscle!

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8720
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:46

Des, my friend recommended it although Dr Zipp is a medical doctor but that is what I was saying to DH the other night.

Every time I go to a Dr I get another freaking story and I don't know who to believe.

The only reason I am tending to lean more toward my GP and the dietician is because I have been with them for a long time and I trust them. Also if you think about the way you eat the low gi is more real if that makes sense.

Dr Zipp met me once!

Don't get me wrong..that Dr Zipp thing worked and I still am not sure if it is all that bad. I mean I was getting my protein and my carbs althought the carbs were very limited. They feel that the low Gi eating plan is too overloaded with carbs but having said that when you have insulin related issues the slow release carbs are what help.

Just the way you eat with the low gi one, it seems to make more sense and is a lot healthier. The fat intake is lower wheras on the Dr Zipp one you can have as much fat as you want. Surely that in itself is not 1005 correct?

I dunno, I am so confused with all this stuff. I don't really know who to believe anymore! I just wish that each person did not tell me something different.

The low gi one is also easier to make food for.
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:52

Sheena have you tried Antagolin? It's for insulin resistance, it's a supplement that you get from dischem, it costs about R169 for a months supply.

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:53

Why not do aspects of both sheena? Eat the Low Gi way but dont mix your carbs and protein in the same meal?
Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4813
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Des on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:58

sheena i was just going to say, it irks me that from people of the same profession you get so much conflicting advice. Makes me flippen mad man!
Des
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3478
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 9:59

I was doing that Gabby, trying not to eat any carbs beside low gi..only thing is that Honey also made me think. My calories are very low for each day.

Also I have been back at hectic gym for 3 wks now and nothing. Is my body not storing fat now cause I am not eating enough.

I wish ( and not playing the ugly wish game now) that I just had the answer to what I really need to do here.

I get so frustrated with all of this. I would not complain if I knew that I stuffed my face with junk but I don't which makes this even more frustrating!
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 10:04

Sheena, I know my body goes into survival mode when I dont eat enough. So that could be the case with you as well. If your body isnt getting enough, your metabolism might be slowing down.

I wish I had an answer for you. It is hard - especially because you try so hard.

I am sure your hormone issues have a big part to play in this.
Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 10:05

If you don't eat enough you also can store fat!

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 10:43

Thats why I'm doing my website diet, and for the first time seeing results. I'm just fedup with hearing ten different stories. With Livestrong i can see what goes in, what my carb and protein breakdown is.

To me any diet is a fad diet when you start cutting food groups and eat too little. I refuse to pay thousands of rands for a dietician when I know the formula for a healthy being.

Healthy living + exercise = weightloss and health

You don't NEED a long list of do's and don'ts to eat well and still be healthy. Half the time we are fat because we KNOW what we are eating is unhealthy but we still eat it.

I love low GI because I still get to eat all the food groups and feel full.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 10:52

You know this also makes me wonder about the "eat right for your blood type" diet.

Maybe it's not too far off? Maybe some people's bodies just dont have the capacity to break down and metabolise certain foods and that is why they battle to lose weight on diets that seem to work on other people.

Maybe eating certain foods actually just causes their bodies to "fight back". I dont know

I mean, it's similar to allergies! I remember talking to a mommy whose little boy had his tonsils out on the same day as cameron. Her son had battled with snots and ear infections and snoring and asthma his whole life. She tried to avoid him eating things that "typically" cause that such as dairy.

When he had allergy testing and he was old enough for the results to be conclusive, it showed that he was allergic to apples, lettuce and strawberries.

Apple juice is the base for so many juices. We all think they're good for us but in reality for some that are actually not healthy at all.

Sheena, maybe you are allergic to lettuce and that's causing an inappropriate response in your body and you cant lose weigh eating salads. Who knows?
It just makes you think

Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 11:36

Gabby, I have had all those tests, done the eat right for the blood type etc. I do agree with your theory though but having said that if you look at those SureSlim and eat right for your blood type diets, they are still rationed and the food intake is 100% healthy which brings me back to Honey's point... if you only put good stuff in and in moderate portions + exercise you will lose.

I mean the low Gi thing worked like a bomb for me and I have never eaten so much in my life and that was without exercise so I would love to know what would have happened with exercise but then SOMETHING happened and it just stopped. I honestly believed the shock and trauma had a lot to do with it and the stress etc but I am slowly getting better so am hoping that will come right as well.

That is what I love about my dieticiain and the low Gi... there are no rules except that whatever goes into your mouth must be under 10g of fat except for your cheat meal where you can have what you want and that the best carbs are the low gi carbs so try and stick to those.

It is such a nice way of eating and it is easy. You never feel hungry and the whole family can eat like that. Also it does not feel like a diet cause you pretty much have a bit of everything and therefore I NEVER used to crave things.

I recently read an article in a magazine that my dietician had written and she said that what puts her off about the blood type diets is that it makes it very difficult to feed a family. If your DH and kids have a different blood type you can't all eat the same meals and therefore you put an emphasis on food thereby making it an issue again. She said food should never be an issue, it should be part of life and you should enjoy eating.

Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 11:50

Strangely enough for me the more i think about my weight and the more I think about losing weight the LESS WEIGHT I LOSE...its like the weight loss obsession takes over or something and then when im more relaxed about things then the weight seems easier coming off?! :confuzzed
It was the same for me when we were trying to conceive Jayden..the more we thought about it the more it just wasnt happening, then we took the pressure off abit and then poof we had a BFP. Smiley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 11:58

I feel that way as well. The more I obsess the more the scale stays the same!
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:04

It may be the stressing about it that is blocking the weight loss?

I read an interesting article that you body when you have to much sugar doesn't produce cortisol, which can hinder weight loss, and stress does the same...

They also say an omega 3 and 6 supplement help with weight loss - I think I might get some when I get some for Damion - I've never seen a fat Japanese woman and they eat sushi which is REALLY rich in the omega's

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:25

Haze I have to take Omega 3 and 6. The dietician is adamant about it. Says it each and every cell in the body needs Omega oils to function at optimal levels. She yells at me if I miss taking them for 1 day.

My cortisol levels are way to high. The hormone dr explained to me that normally after a stressful situation i.e. a hijacking etc cortisol will shoot up but it will come down after a few days but if you are stressed or traumatised over a long period it may not come down. Just before I went to London for Keagan's birth I had a set of blood tests done and it was just starting to come right. After Geoff died and I had it tested a few months down the line it was higher than it had ever been before...so am a true believer that stress etc does trigger it.

Just don't know how you are meant to stop stressing!
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:32

DRINK WINE Smile

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:33

LOL Thumbs up 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:41

Why do you think I drink so much..... it is actually bad! :Embarassed

I am much better now as only have a small glass every other evening with dinner or after dinner whilst winding down.
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:49

sooooooooo glad im not a wine drinker hehe...im not a drinker at all..only socially and if i go out with my friends clubbing once a month its alot so alcohol isnt an issue for me..one less thing to worry about LOL Thumbs Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top