Making sushi

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making sushi

Post by Guest on Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 14:56

For all the sushi lovers!!! This whole recipe costs me about R170 for suhi rice, seaweed sheets, 2 tubes of wasabi, 1 large pot of pickled giner, 500grm of salmon, cucumber, avo's and sesame seeds. It makes about 50 to 70 california rolls.

For fashion sandwiches I use the same recipe, but instead of strips of salmon, avo and cucmber, I use pieces cut into sheets, and then cut the pieces square when done. The hardest part is getting the rice right, but it';s not that difficult. Scream if there are questions...

Ingredients for Sushi Rice
•The following amounts will make about four cups of rice, enough to make several rolls or pieces of sushi nigiri.
•2 cups rice: You will need Japanese short-grained white rice, also called japonica rice or sushi rice. Do not use regular long grained rice as it will not turn out well.
•3-4 tablespoons Japanese rice vinegar: Only use rice vinegar to make sushi rice. Rice vinegar is a mild vinegar made from fermented rice or rice wine.
•2-3 tablespoons sugar: Use plain white sugar to taste.
•2 teaspoons salt: You may use table salt, kosher salt or sea salt depending on your preference.
•Here are some other variations on the sushi rice recipe:
Preparing the Vinegar
•Heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a sauce pan on the stove over medium heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved into the vinegar. Do not boil the mixture. Leave sitting off heat until needed. You can make this portion before or while the rice is cooking.

Preparing the Rice
•Rinse the rice in cold water. This will take several minutes and several changes of water. Rinse the rice until the final change of water runs almost clear.
•You can leave the rice to soak in the water for 15 minutes, or let it it sit drained in the strainer for up to an hour.

Cooking the Rice
•Steam the rinsed rice in an equal amount of water (i.e.: 2 cups of rice and 2 cups of water) in a rice cooker or on the stove top following the package's directions or by bringing to a boil, then cooking over very low heat until the water is evaporated and you are left with lovely sticky rice.
•As always when cooking rice on the stovetop, use very low heat after the initial boil and keep the lid on at all times. The trapped steam is what enables the rice to cook.
•An optional step is to add a piece of kombu, or dried kelp, to the rice as it cooks to add more flavor. If using the stove-top method, discard the kelp after the initial boil.
•Once the rice has finished cooking, it can be left off heat in the pot with the lid on for up to 15 minutes.

Adding vinegar to the rice
Seasoning the Rice
•When the rice has finished cooking, add the vinegar seasoning to the rice.
•You want to cool down the rice and add the seasoning at the same time.
•Some people use a hand-held fan to help in the cooling process.

Tips for Making Perfect Sushi Rice
1.Use a non-reactive metal or wooden container for the final step of seasoning the rice, as some metals will react with the vinegar and mar the flavor of the rice.
2.Be careful not to squish the grains of rice together when adding the vinegar mixture. You want to maintain the integrity of the rice grains.
3.Spreading out the rice makes it cool down faster. This stops the rice cooking in its own heat. To make sushi, the rice should be at about room temperature.
4.If you are not going to make the sushi right away, cover the seasoned rice with a damp cloth to ensure that it doesn't dry out.
5.Never refrigerate sushi rice, as it will get too hard to work with or eat.

Creating the Rolls:
1. Lay the sushi rolling mat on a cutting board in front of you with the bamboo running horizontal. Lay a piece of plastic wrap over the rolling mat.

2. Ready your ingredients by laying them out in front of you in the order you will be putting them on.

3. Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on top of the plastic wrap to keep the rice from getting into the cracks of the mat.

4. Using a rice paddle or spatula, spread approximately 3/4 to 1 cup of rice over the nori, leaving 1 inch on each end.

If you use your hands to pat the rice out, dip your fingertips into the bowl of water.

5. Sprinkle the rice with toasted sesame seeds. Cover the rice and sesame seeds with another sheet of plastic wrap. Lift the rice and nori with the bottom plastic wrap, gently turning it over onto the rolling mat so the nori side is now up.

6. Layer the avocado, cucumber and strip of crab in the middle, spacing evenly. If you decide to use mayonnaise, use a squeeze bottle to add a single line of the condiment down the ingredients.

7. Begin rolling by bringing the bottom end of the mat and plastic wrap up and over the ingredients. Pull back gently on the rolling mat and plastic to keep it from becoming rolled up with the food items, but still forming the rounded rectangular roll.

8. Continue rolling, pulling back as needed and applying firm, even pressure. Make sure you do not squeeze too hard or the ingredients will squirt out the ends and leave the roll looking out of shape.

9. Once the roll is complete, begin making perpendicular cuts with a sharp knife dipped in water. Center the first slice, then divide evenly into fourths or eighths.

10. Arrange the rolls on a platter, cut side up, and serve at room temperature.

Back to top Go down

Re: Making sushi

Post by Guest on Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 15:01

What you can also do (which works better for me) is laying a piece of nori (seaweed), and then rce on top, spread it out, then another nori, and then the ingredients. Roll up and pull the outside nori off.

If you have a very sharp knife you can cut into pieces before peeling off the outside layer.

Back to top Go down

Post by elleznom on Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 15:12

DROOLING!!!!!!! NEED TUNA SASHIMI!!!!

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilly on Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 15:50

YUM - DROOL - YUM
Lilly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 10908