Immune System

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Immune System

Post by Des on Tue 25 May 2010 - 10:26

Hi Moms,

So for the last 3 months, Becca has been on AB at least once a month. She is on creche guard and scotts emulsion. She eats well, lots of fruit and veg.

what can i give her to boost her immune system? Are there any natural remedies or boereraads.

She just finished AB on thursday and saturday night she had a snot nose again,

Should I take her to the ENT, cos thats how it starts, snot nose, cough, then ear or some kinda infection related to that.

Really REALLY dont want my child to grow up on AB
Des
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 3478
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Immune System

Post by Haze on Tue 25 May 2010 - 10:32

is it not maybe allergies that are causing it? My dr doesn't believe in antibiotics and Damion kept getting the snots (and he was also on creche guard and biostrath) and she said that when they are allergic to something their noses run, which causes a post nasal drip which makes the throat sore etc.

Allergies can't be prevented with immune boosters so maybe try something like zyrtec or celestamine? I think you have to get celestamine on prescription though.

Good luck, a snotty baby is not nice

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8720
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 25 May 2010 - 10:39

I agree - try Zyrtec in case it is allergy related. You cant use celestamine for more than five days as it has cortizone in it

Cameron suffered with this type of thing. All stopped when we had his tonsils and adenoids out and I also started using homeopathic remedies. But he was 2.5 by then.

I remember him being on flixonase (nasal spray) but you need a script for it. I trip to the ENT is not a bad idea. I know however that they dont do allergy tests until children are around four or five because tests usually show up that they are allergic to everything because there systems are immature. Plus, many allergies are environmental and there's not much you can do about them (like dust, pollution, pollen etc etc). My ENT says that most kids grow out of it eventually

Until you see the ENT, use Sterimar nasal spray everyday. A clean nose is a healthy nose I say.

Apparently Oscillococcinum flu granules are great for preventing flu. I am giving them to both my boys. You get them at dischem - pricey but you only give half a vial once a week as prevention
Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 4813
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Des on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:14

is it possible that she would develope allergys at 1?
Des
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:17

Damion is allergic to Cats and we found out when he was around 11 months, if you or DH are allergic to dust, cats, pollen etc she may also have it

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Des on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:22

ja neither of us have any allergies...

I sallex her nose twice a day
Des
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:23

She could be allergic to cats. we suspected it with Cameron because every time we went to visit our friends who have 11 (no jokes) cats, he would end up with the snots.

Our doctor actually told us not to avoid cats. regualr contact would make him less sensitive if he was allergic. So we still took him to visit them - and he LOVED (and still loves) those cats - cant keep him away from them. We were just told to give him some celestamine before we went. But we didnt. I kept celestamine for when his snots were really bad. I just had him on Zyrtec. I think Allergix is also quite good. You get a kiddy version.

My doctor was right I am happy to say. He doesnt react to the cats like he used to.

Put your mind at rest and go see an ENT.

Where do you stay? We have a great one here on the east rand who is brilliant with kids.
Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:30

I am horribly allergic to cats, but when I lived with my parents who have 5 cats, the allergies seemed to improve, but now that I don't live with them if I visit I spend the day sneezing and get snotty

If Damion is around cats if he is already snotty we give him half of the celestamine dose and if he's not snotty we take him and see how it goes, if he's snotty when we get back or his eyes are watering etc then we give him a dose and by the next morning hes fine! The celestamine knocks him out from about half an hour after he takes it

Haze
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Des on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:31

we dont have pets. and dont regularly come into contact with them. altho we were visiting my aunt on saturday and thats when the snots started, she has lots of animals.

I think ill do the ENT. is it a normal ENT or a paed one? Im in alberton Gabby, dont mind travelling tho if the doc is recommended
Des
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by ELAINE on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:32

Hi Gabby, can you please give me the ENT details. I really battle with Carmen with the same snotty nose problem. She always have a snotty nose, whether she is on antibiotics or not. Can they have allergex when they are so small?
ELAINE

Number of posts : 396
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:44

Elaine, not sure about Allergex for small babies but CAmeron was on Zyrtec from two months old.

Des, I think a normal ENT is fine.

The ENT we went to is doctor Carter. He has rooms at Glynwood Hospital and Linmed Hospital. The numbers are:
Glynwood: (011) 422 3060
Linmed: (011) 425 6620

What I liked about him was that he didnt just prescribe antibiotics for no reason and he put off taking out the tonsils until it was really the last resort.

I must point out that after we took cameron tonsils and adenoids out, I decided to go the homeopathic route. I went to a homeopath and took him off zyrtec and flixonase. The homeopathic muti really seems to work for him. I use it when I see the snots coming and within three days it's gone. But, I know some people dont have the same experience with homeopathic remedies.

From being on antibiotics almost every second month, he now only gets sick when the seasons change. I have him on Zinplex and the abovemented flu granules and that's it.

Maybe it's just that he's got older and more resilient. I dont know...
Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:46

Sorry forgot to mention Des that there is another very good ENT at the Linksfield hospital. His name begins with an "H". A few of the moms from camerons schools have taken their kids to him. Not sure of his full name but you can call the hosital and ask for the names of the consulting ENTs. I think Linksfield is a bit closer for you. I liked Dr Carter though
Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by ELAINE on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:48

Thank you, I'm going to make an appointment with him
ELAINE

Number of posts : 396
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Des on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:48

Id prefer to go homeopathic hey, not a fan of medicine all the time.

Thanks Gabby
Des
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:54

It's worth a try hey Des. But I would recommend going to see a proper homeopath rather than trying to self medicate with commercially available remedies. They arent specific enough. Our guy told us that you'd need three times the dosage of some of the remedies you get at the chemist for them to be effective.

Rather go see someone who can look at her symptoms and mix up something especially for her. A friend of mine whose little girl had chronic sinus has sorted out the whole problem with homeopathic stuff.
Gabby
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by elleznom on Tue 25 May 2010 - 11:55

I go the celestamine or Deselex route, when Josh gets the snots, it's seasonal allergies... Just like I get. Turns into a post nasal drip, turns into a cough. Flusin DM syrup, also sorts it QUICK!

And the teeth makes it worse...

Good luck!

*BFP #1! 15/07/2008
1st Beta on 15/07/2008 = 51.2 (4w)
2nd Beta on 19/07/2008 = 258.7 (4w4d)
15/10/2008 - It's a BOY!
Joshua Connor de Villiers born 23/03/2009, weighing 3.21kg, 47cm tall.

*BFP #2! 04/03/2011
1st Beta on 04/03/2011= 225.4 (4w)
2nd Beta on 09/03/2011 = 1293 (4w5d)
26/05/2011 - It's a GIRL!
Marilé Shiloh de Villiers born 09/11/2011, weighing 3.52kg, 48cm tall.
elleznom

Number of posts : 14867
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top