Child Welfare Society - Orientation Meeting

Go down

Child Welfare Society - Orientation Meeting

Post by reluctantmom on Tue 23 Mar 2010 - 8:18

Thought I would just put this thread out here, in case other members or "passer byers" want to know what happens when one goes through this process.

I have spoken to a few private adoption social workers, who all seem very nice and very informative. Someone had referred me to Child Welfare, so I spoke to them about a month ago and spoke to the adoption social worker there - I believe there are two at CW. They have these Orientations meetings once a month (I think) for prospective parents. You go along and they walk you through the process and you have the opportunity to ask questions.

I went along on Friday, 19 March 2010. At this stage you receive some forms - I was suprised that it was so little, and was bracing myself for a monster pack, but maybe there are more to come at a later stage.

Form 1 - is an application form - which is filled in by applicant and spouse (if relevant) this is about 5 pages long. The headings are: Family information - basic stuff, Physical Appearance, Background information, Employment, Assets and Income, Accommodation, Additional personal Information.

Form 2 is a form that we have to give to each of our children's schools so that the teacher/department head can fill in questions regarding our children - whether they arrive for school, and appear in good spirits, that sort of thing.

Form 3 is a medical certicate that needs to be completed by our GP. (tricky, as we do not have one....)

And that is about it. We do need to take along identity documents, marriage certificate (not relevant to us), recent salary slip, clear photos and police clearance.

The SW did indicate the police clearance does take a bit of time, so best to do the other forms, return those and then send in the police clearance when it arrives.

My understanding is that once we fill in the forms and send that in, we would move to the next step, which would be a screening interview.

I asked her how long "the process" takes before one gets on to "the list" - she anticipated about three months, which seems fair to me at this stage.

There was the discussion regarding how long one can expect to remain on "the list" before one is matched with a potential baby. She was very clear that it depended on what you wanted (your requirements/specificatons) and what was available. She explained that they do also network with private agencies, as babies may come available to a private agency and they may not have a suitable family on thier list, so of course as placing that child becomes more of an issue, it does go out to the other agencies.

Right now, I am not keen to pursue a private agency - I am not in a huge rush, my specifications are not that specific, and I am fine to follow this process as it stands for now.

I will update you on more as I experience it, the information might prove useful to someone else who is interested, but maybe too nervous to get the process started.

reluctantmom

Number of posts : 21
Mood :
Registration date : 2010-03-18

http://reluctantmom.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Child Welfare Society - Orientation Meeting

Post by DJMommy on Tue 23 Mar 2010 - 17:17

Thanks for submitting the info!

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
AMH: 0.6
1x IVF (Sept 09)
1st Beta 20/09/09: 208
2nd Beta 21/09/09:290
3rd Beta 25/09/09: 1985
4th Beta 29/09/09: 10318
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 15278
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-01

http://myttclife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 6:49

Thanks please keep us updated. Are you adopting a coloured or black child or are you looking for a white one?
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by reluctantmom on Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 7:09

Kerryw - at the moment my preference lies with a black girl or possibly a coloured girl. However this may change as more soul searching is done or as circumstances change. I have a boy and two girls at the moment.

My partner is having some concerns regarding the process and whether he feels that this is something he can do at the moment - we had a bit of an emotional weekend, and he feels he needs more time to feel that this is the right decision.

Needless to say I am somewhat devastated, but good sense is telling me to slow this down and let him come to a decision on whether we should go forward or not.

reluctantmom

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryw on Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 7:54

Good luck

I think you should give him some space for now as you have some time still.

Also have you thought about volunteering at a childrens home they need people to play with the kids and that may help assuage your need to adopt in the mean time.
Kerryw
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8763
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by reluctantmom on Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 8:15

Thanks Kerryw - I am not sure whether I could volunteer at a children's home and not be so desperate to hide a little one under my shirt and leave with him or her.

I used to volunteer years ago at an animal shelter, and though I would go each weekend, I used to find the experience harrowing. It was difficult to stay emotionally removed from it, without leaving each day and feeling like my soul had literally been ripped and was bleeding each time.

I am not sure I could go to a home and feel my emotions being tugged at when I see all those little babes in need - wave goodbye and then go home to my own children who have everything they need/want and a mom and dad who adore them.

I am not sure I am emotionally strong enough to do that.

I have however volunteered at an organisation who does assist kids in need - and I will probably start by assisting at a distance and doing the background stuff that may not be one on one contact in a very emotionally loaded situation.
reluctantmom

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down