Answers needed

Go down

Answers needed

Post by Guest on Tue 9 Feb 2010 - 14:46

I haven't posted in months so HELLO everyone.

Hubby and I have visited Procare last week and decided to pursue adopting and we're SUPER EXCITED. I'll be posting my forms off tomorrow and getting a Police Clearance Certificate later this week.

I need to ask you ladies how I go about telling my boss and our company. For one, I cannot give them any concrete answers as to when the baby arrives etc. I have a responsible job and the only one doing it in our company so I would prefer to tell them sooner or later. What was your experience like? Also, do you get the normal 4 to 6months maternity leave?

Please help. Thanks

Back to top Go down

Re: Answers needed

Post by DJMommy on Tue 9 Feb 2010 - 15:37

Hi Jooles

Nice to see you again. I dont have any advice, but there are a few ladies who can help you!

9x DIUI
3x Laparoscopies
1x Hysteroscopy
AMH: 0.6
1x IVF (Sept 09)
1st Beta 20/09/09: 208
2nd Beta 21/09/09:290
3rd Beta 25/09/09: 1985
4th Beta 29/09/09: 10318
TWINS!
DJMommy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 15278
Mood :
Registration date : 2008-07-01

http://myttclife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pandora on Tue 9 Feb 2010 - 17:08

We did not tell anyone, mainly because you cannot give them a time frame. In the end I gave my boss 2 days notice, it happened so fast. He and everyone at work were so supportive. If you feel you don't want to leave them in the lurch if it is short notice, maybe just start training someone else to take over?
The risk with telling people is that everyone gets excited, and it may take some time. How are you going to cope with constant questions about what is happening? that is what put me off, as I didn't want people I am not that close to keeping track of something so private.
Our company gives 45 working days for adoption, and I was allowed to ask for another 2 months unpaid leave, of which I took one. I think some companies do give the full maternity leave.

Best of luck, it is exciting! Let us know what you decide.

Pandora

Number of posts : 68
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by michmac on Wed 10 Feb 2010 - 5:52

Hi Jooles

Nice to meet you. It's a tough one cause as Pandora said it's difficult enough without more people asking you everyday what's happening. Because of the position i'm in i had to tell but what i did was i told management and asked them to keep it to themselves. You can't really plan too much because you never know when you are going to get the call but at least your boss will know something which is better than springing maternity leave on him out of the blue. You are entitled to 4 months maternity leave, paid or unpaid is up to the company you work for. I do know that you can claim maternity benefits from UIF as an adoptive parent but i'm not sure what it all entails. I worked from home for the 4 months i was off so i couldn't claim.
Hope this helps.
michmac
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 2008
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Carmen on Wed 10 Feb 2010 - 7:01

Hi there Jooles,

For me I felt I needed to tell my bosses from the get go. I was also nervous about it but to my suprise they were excited for me and said we will work something out with regards to maternity leave. I think its important that you tell your boss asap especially if you are the only one doing your job function as its the ethical thing to do. Also, they are prepared for when you call and say you have your baby and won't be returning to work for some time LOL! Good luck with your adoption and I pray it will be smooth road ahead for you.
Carmen
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 856
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah's Hope on Wed 10 Feb 2010 - 9:53

Hi Jooles,

Welcome back!!! I agree with Michmac, tell your direct manager but ask him/her to keep quite about it until you know you have been matched.

You are entitled to all the maternity benefits a pregnant woman would qualify for.

I hope you have a smooth adption journey and that you will have your baby in your arms soon. Sometimes it unfortunately doesn't happen as soon as we would like it to (and sometimes it does!!), but keep the faith and stay positive!!

Warm regards
Hannah's Hope
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 712
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-08-13

http://hannahamos7.wix.com/almostpregnant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Feb 2010 - 11:14

Thanks Ladies - I'm been to speak with our HR HOD and our company doesn't have an Adoption policy neither is there any law concerning the adoptive parents. She spoke about 3days family responisibly leave and maybe some extra time - I was flabergasted as I was hoping to take at least 6months off. They are busy creating a policy and hopefully I'll get to be involved.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pandora on Wed 10 Feb 2010 - 16:23

I think they do have to give you adoption leave as far as I know. In my company, the conditions of employment state what adoption leave we get, so I could not argue.
I think maybe see if you can find something out about the basic conditions of employment that companies have to abide by.

Pandora

Number of posts : 68
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah's Hope on Thu 11 Feb 2010 - 13:21

3 days???!!! No bloody way!!!!

The BCE does not specifically refer to adoptions but you are going to be the mother of a baby, so should your employer NOT give you the same treatment that is discrimination and I will raise hell if I were you.

I communicated with a government official regarding this a while back, I will look and see if I can find it.

Good luck!
Hannah's Hope
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah's Hope on Thu 11 Feb 2010 - 13:24

Hi, I just remembered I posted about this a while ago, here it is again:

ADOPTION: MATERNITY LEAVE

Maternity Leave for adoption is governed by the Basic Conditions of Employment Act. The Act does not specify adoption per se, only birth: an interpretation is that if one adopts at the birth of a child (or as soon as possible thereafter), then maternity leave should be as per the Act, viz: stop working one month prior to confinement date, plus 6 weeks leave thereafter (total of 4 months).

Effectively, maternity leave is up to 4 consecutive months. As there would be no pregnancy involved here, the mother would apply to her employer to have the 4 months from the date the baby is due to come home or, say, a week before to make relevant preparations, etc.

The adoptive mother would thus apply for maternity and the adoptive father for family responsibility leave. Adoptive fathers can claim three days family responsibility leave on the adoption of a child.

If you are planning to take maternity or paternity leave, you should inform your employer of the expected date of the arrival of your child.

Employees on maternity leave also need to inform their employers in writing of when they expect to return to work.

Fathers and adoptive parents who want to take family responsibility leave may be required to provide proof of the need to take leave.

The important thing is to communicate with your employer, but according to the BCE act, they can not refuse maternity leave.

One thing to remember is that employers are not obliged to pay a salary during maternity leave, which brings us to another VERY important issue: Adoptive parents can also claim from UIF!

ADOPTION: UIF - CLAIMING ADOPTION BENEFITS

You can claim adoption benefits if you legally adopt a child younger than two years old and you leave work to look after that child. Only one of the adopting parents can apply for benefits.

If you want to claim adoption benefits, you need to register with a claims officer at your nearest Labour Centre.

You will need to have:

•a copy of your identity document
•copies of your last 6 payslips
•your employer's details on form UI19
•a service certificate issued by your employer
•the adoption order
•proof of your banking details
•a statement of amount that you have received from your employer during your adoption leave
•a copy of your adopted child's birth certificate.

You must apply for the benefits within six months of the adoption order being issued.

Adoption benefits are paid by cheque through the post. A form will accompany the payment. This form must be filled in and sent back to the claims officer at the labour centre. (As per www.labour.gov.za)

Hope this helps!!
Hannah's Hope
Uber Member
Uber Member

Mood :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 12 Feb 2010 - 12:04

Thanks - this definitely helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandy-Leigh on Mon 15 Feb 2010 - 14:30

Yes Jooles - adoptive mothers have the exact same rights as biological mothers, even when claiming UIF. It is your constitutional right to be treated as any other mother. You company cannot make their own policy regarding the amount of leave you are entitled to, but they have a choice with regards to paid or unpaid maternity leave.
Mandy-Leigh
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 1773
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Feb 2010 - 16:55

Hi there

When I adopted my son, the company I was at only gave me 1.5 months paid "adoption leave". The labour law does not enforce the company to give you the four months off, paid or otherwise.
It is at their descretion even though it looks obvious when you look at the UIF benefit attached to adoption. I asked the company to give me the full time off without pay but they did not budge.
I really hope that you have better luck. I told my company when it looked the screening was proceeding. But this is totally up to you. You could wait until you have been matched.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down