Att: Hannah, Jahni and anyone else who might know!

Go down

Att: Hannah, Jahni and anyone else who might know!

Post by Sheena on Thu 8 Oct 2009 - 12:02

I know this is my field but I can't seem to find anything on it and it is frustrating the hell out of me.

Do either of you know what the provisions are for maternity leave in the case of the adoption of a newborn?

I am pretty sure there is an entitlement to maternity leave for the mother but I am not sure how long etc.

I will keep digging in my Acts but if either of you know offhand, pls enlighten me.
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8733
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Adoption: Maternity leave and UIF

Post by Hannah's Hope on Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 12:47

Hi Sheena!

Sorry for only replying now, things are a bit hectic here.

ADOPTION: MATERNITY LEAVE

Maternity Leave for adoption is governed by the Basic Conditions of Employment Act. The Act does not specify adoption per se, only birth: an interpretation is that if one adopts at the birth of a child (or as soon as possible thereafter), then maternity leave should be as per the Act, viz: stop working one month prior to confinement date, plus 6 weeks leave thereafter (total of 4 months).

Effectively, maternity leave is up to 4 consecutive months. As there would be no pregnancy involved here, the mother would apply to her employer to have the 4 months from the date the baby is due to come home or, say, a week before to make relevant preparations, etc.

The adoptive mother would thus apply for maternity and the adoptive father for family responsibility leave. Adoptive fathers can claim three days family responsibility leave on the adoption of a child.

If you are planning to take maternity or paternity leave, you should inform your employer of the expected date of the arrival of your child.

Employees on maternity leave also need to inform their employers in writing of when they expect to return to work.

Fathers and adoptive parents who want to take family responsibility leave may be required to provide proof of the need to take leave.

The important thing is to communicate with your employer, but according to the BCE act, they can not refuse maternity leave.

One thing to remember is that employers are not obliged to pay a salary during maternity leave, which brings us to another VERY important issue: Adoptive parents can also claim from UIF!

ADOPTION: UIF - CLAIMING ADOPTION BENEFITS

You can claim adoption benefits if you legally adopt a child younger than two years old and you leave work to look after that child. Only one of the adopting parents can apply for benefits.

If you want to claim adoption benefits, you need to register with a claims officer at your nearest Labour Centre.

You will need to have:

•a copy of your identity document
•copies of your last 6 payslips
•your employer's details on form UI19
•a service certificate issued by your employer
•the adoption order
•proof of your banking details
•a statement of amount that you have received from your employer during your adoption leave
•a copy of your adopted child's birth certificate.

You must apply for the benefits within six months of the adoption order being issued.

Adoption benefits are paid by cheque through the post. A form will accompany the payment. This form must be filled in and sent back to the claims officer at the labour centre. (As per www.labour.gov.za)

Hope this helps!!

Warm regards
Hannah's Hope
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 712
Mood :
Registration date : 2009-08-13

http://hannahamos7.wix.com/almostpregnant

Back to top Go down

Re: Att: Hannah, Jahni and anyone else who might know!

Post by Sheena on Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 13:10

Ah.. there it is.. I knew I was not going mad. Thought I had posted it in general chatter. Sorry I made you respond twice.

Tks for your help!
Sheena
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Number of posts : 8733
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Att: Hannah, Jahni and anyone else who might know!

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down